Coffee Roasting Q&A with Tim Wendelboe [video]

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast

#1: Post by farmroast »

Tim has started a new series of coffee Q&A on Periscope. This was the first one from last week, archived on youtube, about roasting. The next one is this Wednesday 10am EDT on manual brewing.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

Excellent podcast.. Extremely informative.. Nice shout out Ed!!

ccr

#3: Post by ccr »

Interesting thoughts regarding lower/higher airflow for lower/higher densities. Certainly makes sense, but not something I've been messing with.

Goldensncoffee

#4: Post by Goldensncoffee »

Very interesting, especially his thoughts on airflow.

OldmatefromOZ

#5: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

This is great , thanks for making it known.

NoStream

#6: Post by NoStream »

I just finished watching this and would really recommend it, especially for those who are fans of Nordic roasts and attempt to roast light enough that underdevelopment is a concern.

I wanted to offer a few highlights for those who don't feel like watching the whole thing. I've obviously omitted a ton, and you should watch it if you find these thoughts interesting.

TW has recently been varying airflow a bit based on bean density, lower for lower density and higher for higher.

On Rao, TW does use a refractometer to judge development. (At least, I first heard about this technique from Rao.) Regarding declining RoR, TW isn't convinced it's universally necessary and emphasizes palate differences. ("Some people like underdeveloped flavors.")
Also, TW doesn't strictly follow declining RoR and found that - on his roaster, a modified 15 kilo Probat - that strictly declining RoR produced some underdeveloped flavors.
TW doesn't agree that flicks in RoR during 1C necessarily cause baked or scorched flavors.
He does mention that he now focuses on RoR more and appreciates Rao's thoughts.

On airflow, lower amounts create thick mouthfeel and a certain perception of "sweetness" but can be underdeveloped. Excessively high airflow can create hollow, bakey, and aroma-stripped results. TW only modulates airflow within a small range.

On avoiding underdevelopment, TW emphasizes not moving too quickly through 1C. (But this is by Nordic standards - he's still very fast by American standards.) He doesn't drop in less than eight minutes on his Probat. (This doesn't necessarily apply to air roasters, Lorings, etc.)

Overfast roasts can create astringency. (This aligns with Hoos' point about chlorogenic acid degradation in development reducing bitterness.)

On recommended tools for QC: moisture meter (10-11.5% ideal), UV light (check for white spots indicating excessively fast drying of greens), traditional bulk grinder to QC roasts at 18% EY (to see how coffees fare with non-ideal preparations), water activity meter ($$$).

TW does cup espresso. He doesn't blend it and has a thoroughly third-wave ideal of espresso.

And finally, an outline of his profile...

Charge at, as an example, 220c (reminder: this is roaster and green coffee dependent!)
Wait for 1:00-1:30 to apply significant heat (avoids astringency and underdevelopment)
Apply plenty of heat through dry and ramp
Decrease heat immediately before or during first crack
Development time in the range of 1:00
Total roast time of 9:30-11:30

For espresso, TW uses a somewhat longer development time to increase development and decrease acidity, but his overall profile shape is quite similar.

dustin360

#7: Post by dustin360 »

Thanks for the heads up Ed! This vid is rad, love that he doesnt agree with Perger/Roa. New episode is up on manual brewing.

AssafL

#8: Post by AssafL »

Excellent. Thank you!
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

insatiableOne

#9: Post by insatiableOne »

I liked the point of view as not gospel, just another opinion or just another shortcut to the finish with a desired result.
Nothing like experience driving the conversation.

Zaneus

#10: Post by Zaneus »

I think that any respected industry professional disagreeing with Scott Rao and Matt Perger is a good thing! The coffee industry loves to blind-jump into trends quite quickly. Having someone like Tim go against the grain will help keep everyone creative in a time where the constantly declining RoR is king. Can't wait to give this a listen when i finish roasting for the day!