Coffee Roasting Defects Pictorial - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ziobeege_72

#11: Post by ziobeege_72 »

Definitely contender for post of the year this. Really useful and can see myself referring to this often.

One related question on quakers and stinkers. Presumably you are entirely reliant on your green coffee supplier and, ultimately, the coffee farms themselves to remove as many underripe, overripe and defective beans as possible - irrespective of the location of the farm and the processing methods used. This is what you are paying 'speciality' prices for afterall.

Or is it case that there will always be a percentage of sufficiently defective beans in any coffee you buy - but that there is a tolerance limit of bad beans you can expect depending on the bean and processing technique used. So some low grown soft beans with dry processing techniques may be more susceptible to a few more quakers and stinkers than say higher altitude harder beans combined with more intensive processing and filtering capabilities?

Possibly a gross generalisation I realise, and I guess the real answer lies on the individual farm, irrespective of the bean and processing methodology used.

farmroast

#12: Post by farmroast »

Gino
This is the breakdown of defects and what is allowed.
defects by classification
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

ziobeege_72

#13: Post by ziobeege_72 »

Marvellous. Thanks Ed

rama

#14: Post by rama »

chang00 wrote: Center line charring. From too much heat from drying phase to 1st crack:
Interesting- I had no idea charring could be isolated to just this region. One more thing to watch for, thanks.