Coffee packaging time

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
morecoffee1

#1: Post by morecoffee1 »

For those with commercial style roasters I was wondering about how much time packaging the roasted coffee usually takes. Like if you have a 5K roaster, about how much time do you spend on weighting, bagging, sealing, and labeling 1lb bags of coffee of a 5K batch.

bohemianroaster

#2: Post by bohemianroaster »

My routine is: paste labels (self-stick) on the bags, date the labels, fill and seal - they're the plain old kraft tin-tie bags, and then I put a security seal over top. I guesstimate that I can do 2 bags a minute. A lot of these chores can be done in intervals where the roast has long stretches without needing an adjustment.

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

It doesn't take too long. I will often get all my stickers on before starting any roasting. I have a weigh and fill though so that definitely speeds the process up. It is over there weighing out coffee by itself while I am sealing bags, watching the roast, etc.

bohemianroaster

#4: Post by bohemianroaster »

Bodka Coffee wrote: I have a weigh and fill . . .
You have a weighing and filling machine? How big is your operation? I'm so wicked jealous! :evil:
And how much does one of those babies cost??

victoriacoffees

#5: Post by victoriacoffees »

In the beginning, I had a 5kilo roaster and manually weighed, bagged, and sealed my coffees. After a while, I got pretty good and fast. Preparation was key, how many pounds needed = how many batches = number of labeled bags (1, 2, 5lbs). In the process, filling was my bottleneck, no matter how I changed my routine. If I remained focused and consistent, spillage would be held to a minimum. But I'm a scatter brain most of the time, so you know what that meant. Especially painful if it was a 5lbs bag!

Within a year, I purchased a weigh n fill machine. That was the best investment I have made to date. Accidents still happen but they are few and far between.
John V.

endlesscycles

#6: Post by endlesscycles »

I account 1min per bag for label, weigh, fill, and seal. With the right systems it could be as fast as 30sec.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Bodka Coffee

#7: Post by Bodka Coffee »

John V. pretty much nailed it. I never dumped a full bag I don't think but I agree on the weigh n fill being a great investment. They really don't cost much. Around $130 per month. :D

endlesscycles

#8: Post by endlesscycles »

Bodka Coffee wrote:...Around $130 per month. :D
When you put it that way I feel silly going this long without one. Fast? Accurate? Precise?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Bodka Coffee

#9: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Fast? Yup. It will be filling bags while I am sealing. And it is very accurate. I will send you a website address via pm.

morecoffee1 (original poster)

#10: Post by morecoffee1 (original poster) »

Thank you for the replys. I appreciate the responses.