Charging with or without gas?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
white05sox

#1: Post by white05sox »

hey how come people don't charge with the gas on with tj-067? i know others have told me because of possibility of scorching and or tipping. but why not just charge lower and leave the gas on instead of cutting the gas for 60-90sec? wouldn't that help penetrate heat early in the roast?

Soliloquy

#2: Post by Soliloquy »

Maybe. Give it a try.

white05sox (original poster)

#3: Post by white05sox (original poster) »

ok. just a discussion to have on the forum thats all.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I'm speculating that charging a hefty roaster like a North TJ-067 at higher temperature and coasting through turnaround with gas and fan off drives heat into the beans and maintains the momentum of all that heated metal. If the metal weren't as hot, you would be driving the heat with more gas and may be less effective in tweaking temperature increases. In other words, this hot charge/power off approach may help prevent stalling.

My North roaster is unique because it's a gas version with a perforated drum. All others (to my knowledge) have solid drums. But still, the entire roasting chamber carries the momentum of a hotter charge. I can't give specific recommendations to users of other North roasters because mine isn't like theirs and will react differently to adjustments.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#5: Post by white05sox (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I'm speculating that charging a hefty roaster like a North TJ-067 at higher temperature and coasting through turnaround with gas and fan off drives heat into the beans and maintains the momentum of all that heated metal. If the metal weren't as hot, you would be driving the heat with more gas and may be less effective in tweaking temperature increases. In other words, this hot charge/power off approach may help prevent stalling
couldnt agree more i feel it need be charge high to hold the heat inside. i've tried charging high and dropping with gas on. unfortunately the beans get scorched. i have similar approach to yours except i prefer leaving airflow at minimum to get the roaster to breath. my personal choice tho.

#6: Post by white05sox (original poster) »

issue i come across is sometimes my drying ends to soon. 4min. So of course i wont charge as high the next batch but then my delta bean won't reach the desired F/min. guess just finding that happy medium...

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

white05sox wrote:i have similar approach to yours except i prefer leaving airflow at minimum to get the roaster to breath. my personal choice tho.
This is where our roasters aren't comparable because I don't have a solid drum. You might try turning your drum speed higher to make faster changes to the position of each bean contacting the drum.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

fu11c17y

#8: Post by fu11c17y »

white05sox wrote:issue i come across is sometimes my drying ends to soon. 4min. So of course i wont charge as high the next batch but then my delta bean won't reach the desired F/min. guess just finding that happy medium...
Just turn up the fan during that stage, instead of turning it off. Or charge more beans per batch.
The whole idea behind fan off during turnaround providing higher barometric pressure in the chamber and increasing the boiling point is a neat idea in theory. The intention for increasing the boiling point is to use moisture as conductor for better even distribution of heat. But practically it may not work (ymmv), because it could get dominated by other factors. For example, if your drum has plenty of heat stored without a lot of bean charged, all the heat is being locked in, not being allowed to get ventilated, when your fan is off. With your gas being off, you do not need to worry about the fan giving too much convective heat to the chamber, because the heat source is essentially shut off. The fan in this stage just gives the chamber ventilation, letting cool air in, until the point you turn on the gas. So essentially, during the pre-turnaround stage of your roast, the fan helps lower ET, while still letting you maintain the heat stored in the drum without you having to charge at a low BT. Alternatively if you charge more beans, they will do their job absorbing the heat in your drum, so you will still have time to finish drying. This may be risky though because you better have enough heat to finish the roast to your target drop temp, now that you have a larger batch to work with.