Can the Behmor 1600 do dark roasts?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Coffeematt13

#1: Post by Coffeematt13 »

As my interest in coffee continues to grow, I figure it's about time a try my hand at coffee roasting. I've been looking into the Behmor 1600 coffee roaster as my first roaster. I will be roasting beans for my french press, hario, and Silvia. I know the roaster can handle light to medium roasts with no problem, which is perfect for my non espresso brewers. What I would like to know is, will I be able to roast dark enough to get good results on my Rancilio Silvia? I know espresso doesn't necessarily have to be dark roast, but alot of the blends I have had or seen seem to be dark roasts. I would like to try things like metropolis greenline and blends from sweet marias for my Silvia. Will the Behmor be able to handle those greens well? I hope you guys can help, and thanks for reading! I hope you understand what I'm trying to say! :)

UltramaticOrange

#2: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Sweet Maria's Via YouTube
video comment wrote:After much discussion about the Behmor being able to dark roast an entire pound of coffee, we decided to crack open a brand new Behmor and try it out on 2 different profiles. The verdict is that you can get an entire pound to a City+ or even Vienna with a brand new roaster but in our experience, as this roaster ages, the max. temperatures will decrease. This is due to the sensors inside of the machine going through continuous roasts. Contact Behmor at tech@behmor.com for more info on how to modify your roaster and for tips on replacing your heat sensors. We also have a good Behmor page you can read... http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-behmor.php .
Video itself:
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Coffeematt13 (original poster)

#3: Post by Coffeematt13 (original poster) »

Thanks orange! Very informational. It seems like I should be happy as long as I don't push the envelope. :)