Building a coffee roaster and learning how to roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
watermelophant

#1: Post by watermelophant »

so im building a coffee roaster and am almost done super excited about it. I would like to learn how to roast coffee I have the basic understanding of how to roast but dont really know how to develop a profile or recognizing different changes in the coffee ect. any advice or tips on this would be really helpfull.
And any tips on changing things one the roaster would be helpful to.
Thanks

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Nice home project. Your questions are so open-ended it's hard to answer. Please read the FAQs in our Home Roasting forum, read some of the threads and come up with questions based on that. Also maybe you can tell us how you got interested in roasting and where you developed the skills to build one of your own.

FAQs and Favorites

My initial take looking at your roaster is the burners may be better inline for a uniform exposure of flame to the part of the drum passing over them. Also I can't tell whether there's an enclosure around your drum or not. You'll want an enclosure so you can build and retain heat around the drum. That enclosure is usually insulated.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Danm

#3: Post by Danm »

Great looking roaster and welcome. Would love to hear more about it. Plans for airflow, gas control, etc. Nice job so far. As far as learning all the ins and outs, you can' t beat this forum. Go back to past threads. Tons of good info.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

watermelophant wrote:And any tips on changing things one the roaster would be helpful to.
The trier should be closed at the end. Maybe you are planning on still doing that, but as you remove the trier from the roaster you'll lose a lot of beans with it being open at the end. Otherwise looks promising!

Note that it would help people to provide feedback to provide a few more pictures and a little more detail or explanation about what you've done and plan to do.

stuartmac

#5: Post by stuartmac »

nice simple build you have so far, would love to hear more about it. Are you using plans from somewhere?