Brazil Rose Diamond - wow

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Locopavoni

#1: Post by Locopavoni »

Just has the most amazing espresso.
I roasted a 1/2 pound of Brazil Rose Diamond beans yesterday to just before second crack and had to give it a go today. The beans although still quite mute as you may expect without adequate time to develop after roasting have the most amazing after taste.

The after taste is very clean with strong floral notes, reminds me a lot of rose water. Absolutely amazing and something profoundly different to a typical Brazil.
Not sure if this will suit blending as the flavours are subtle, but as a single origin it is definitely something a little different. Can't wait to see how this will develop.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this bean, what your impressions were and the optimal roasting level.
LMWDP #537

endlesscycles

#2: Post by endlesscycles »

Rose Diamond is Sao Judas Tadeu from Cerrado Mineiro and is a natural Catuai. I fully agree with your assessment. I've roasted it very light and fast, as well as long and light, and am currently pursuing a medium long and medium roast profile to bring it closer to Illy's medium espresso flavor balance. Light roasts were a touch grainy and the acidity was out of place as were the light ferment notes. It's not a super complex coffee, but I think the fine flavor notes are elegant. I think it's too good and nuanced a coffee to blend and I have had no luck in early attempts to pair it with a natural Ethiopia. Perhaps longer roasts of each would temper their individual character enough for a more harmonious marriage of flavors.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Locopavoni (original poster)

#3: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

As the aroma and aftertaste are what this bean is about for me, not sure if blending will add or mask the unique qualities. A natural Ethiopian is a great thought. I might try to pair it with a Nicaraguan bourbon, but my suspicion is blending will overpower the subtle nuances of this Brazilian. Possibly a 7:3 ratio may work.

I really like this bean in its own, not a blockbuster in your face profile, but it is smooth with a deceptively long finish that ends very cleanly.
Medium roast may be the way to go, I suspect that the properties of this bean won't tolerate 2nd crack, and the citrusy acidity will be a bit to much in a light roast.
LMWDP #537

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I picked up a couple pounds of this from Klatch and followed Marshall's suggestions for a moderate approach for my first roast. My profile ran 3:40/4:30/3, with first cracks at 378F and finish at 398F.

The results are good enough that I'll probably just do the same thing again next time. The results are very nice, both as brew and espresso. I usually associate intense floral aromas with coffees that have more pungent acidity, but this coffee mixes a rich rose aroma with mild malic & apple acidity and a smooth milk chocolate & toffee base. My wife was a big fan of an aeropress cup I made of it 30 minutes right out of the roaster, and the Caravel shots (200F, tight grind, 12g dose, 22 g shot) have been lovely as well. The aftertaste is mellow but very pleasant, and lingers for quite a while.

I doubt I'll blend this with anything else, as it is too enjoyable on its own; it's definitely the best pulp natural Brazil I can remember trying in recent memory. It is comfort coffee at its finest.
LMWDP #435

Locopavoni (original poster)

#5: Post by Locopavoni (original poster) »

Roasted a batch last week, took it into 2nd crack and the result was surprisingly good. Due to being out of town I did not get a chance to brew any until after a full week had elapsed. The coffee had adequate development time and a thin layer of oil had formed on the beans.
I prepared an espresso using my trusty Pavoni and it was great. The 'rose' aftertaste was slightly muted but the coffee had taken on more complexity with wine like notes. This bean is really something special.
LMWDP #537