Bella XJ-101 1kg Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ciel-007

#1: Post by ciel-007 »

After cracking through several hundred pounds of greens with my modified Hottop, I feel ready to graduate to a larger roaster for home use.

Earlier today, I was presented with an opportunity to buy a used BellaTaiwan XJ-101 roaster. It is about 5 years old and is propane fired. As far as I can tell, this particular model is virtually identical to the Yang Chia 801N, and Feima 801N roasters.

I am wondering if any of you might be in a position to talk about your roasting experiences with a BellaTW XJ-101, or perhaps share some noteworthy information about the above companies or roaster models.

Your feedback would be most appreciated in helping me reach a decision. Fern

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

I've been roasting on an 800n for two years; both machines are made by Yang-Chia Machine Works in Taichung Taiwan. If you get a deal?

BUY IT!

chang00

#3: Post by chang00 »

As Hank already mentioned, GET IT! Like Hank, I roast with a Yang Chia 800n/mini 500.

Yang Chia (literally means Yang Family Machine Works) manufactures coffee related stuff with brand name Feima. For people who don't speak Chinese, it may sound like FAEMA, but in fact, due to ignorance of language. Feima means Flying Horse (飛馬).

Yang Chia roasters are used in roasting competitions in Taiwan, sponsored by the distributor BellaTaiwan. Numerous coffees rated over 95 points on CoffeeReview were roasted with this particular roaster.

ciel-007 (original poster)

#4: Post by ciel-007 (original poster) »

Hank and Henry, thanks for your prompt feedback.
That's much appreciated!

Photo of the Bella Taiwan XJ-101

Photo of the BellaTW XJ-101

Can someone explain the function of each control on the panel?

Fern

chang00

#5: Post by chang00 »

Your picture of the control panel is rather blurry, but if it is similar to other Yang Chia 801N roasters:

Top row: PID for temperature readout/ Rotation Speed knob/ Drum motor toggle switch/ Ignition

Bottom row: Alarm toggle switch/ Reset/ Main Power/ Roast Fan/ Cooling Fan/ Stirrer

The 801N has graduated fan control. Some will modify the exhaust analog gauge to a type K thermocouple.

fu11c17y

#6: Post by fu11c17y »

chang00 wrote: Numerous coffees rated over 95 points on CoffeeReview were roasted with this particular roaster.
The other day I was looking at these guys racking up 90+ scores.
http://www.papalins.com/

The photo of their roaster looks like one of these Yang Chia or Feima. Could anyone care to ID?

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC replying to fu11c17y »

It is, and I think it's a good selling card that promotes this roaster. It was the same price as the roaster I bought, but they couldn't make a larger tryer with the drum design. I also worried about support for any mechanical issues, but they're apparently so well built that it's never really been an issue.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

chang00

#8: Post by chang00 »

Papa Lin roasts with a Mini 500 distributed by BellaTaiwan (aka Yang Chia 800N) with perforated drum.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by hankua »

Fern, we have an informal support group here although there have been few problems.

Just in case you score that awesome roaster.

I'm a little jealous, used ones are quite rare. :D

ciel-007 (original poster)

#10: Post by ciel-007 (original poster) »

chang00 wrote: Top row: PID for temperature readout/ Rotation Speed knob/ Drum motor toggle switch/ Ignition
Bottom row: Alarm toggle switch/ Reset/ Main Power/ Roast Fan/ Cooling Fan/ Stirrer
Henry, thank you for explaining the control panel switches - that's much appreciated!
-Is it correct to assume that the PID provides BMT?
-How useful is the variable drum rotation speed function?
-Can you explain the alarm function?

I've attached a few more photos of the Bella XJ-101.

Fern