Behmor sometimes stops, displays err4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
espressotime

#1: Post by espressotime »

Hi,
My 5 years old Behmor has a problem.
During roasting it sometimes stops in the middle of a roast.The display shows a flashing err4.

If I manage to finish a roast it always stops after three minutes or so shortened out and blowing the main fuse of the whole house.
Is there any Behmor owner here who has a solution to this problem?

I just almost poisoned myself by roasting in a frying pan.Pretty desperate and sad really. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Ps .I already contacted Behmor concerning this issue but I guess being in Europe makes things a bit complex.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

If I was guessing, I'd say look at the afterburner. It's under the plate on the roof of the roaster. I think you can also get to it from the top by removing both sides and then the top. It's not hard but clearly not intended for this so find all the screws before you try to remove anything, the right side is easy, the left side has a screw under the door that you might miss. One you get that far, the top is easy. Don't over tighten them putting it back together.

You can take off the cover inside the roaster and get to it that way but getting the wires plugged back in is a bit of a pain. That's how I did it and I probably should have taken the cover off too.

Make sure the machine is unplugged before starting and make sure it's exactly as it was before you started before plugging it back in. And if you pull it apart like that, look for any loose wires that might be the problem.

ERR4 indicates the draw fan is damaged which is the fan at the top right front.

Ira

Advertisement
espressotime (original poster)

#3: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

Hi Ira,
I took off the casing a week ago and found on the top of the machine two cables attached at the afterburner.
The isolation of the white cable hat melted off.I applied new suitable isolation and attached the cable again.
I guessed the cable had melted due to overheating.
Could it be it had a burnout?
Al.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Sorry I missed this but glad I led you to the problem. The insulation melting would seem to imply a bad or high resistance connection. Either the connector that plugs on to the afterburner is loose or the crimp is bad. Figure out which one it is and fix it or you will likely have the same problem again soon.

Ira

espressotime (original poster)

#5: Post by espressotime (original poster) »

Yeah.
But it didn't fix the problem.as a matter of fact it got worse.
So today I did my first paintgun roast.

Paintgun and a ventilator to cool and get rid of the smoke.
Bike to sit on is all that was needed.

The result.

The espresso.

The taste was just GREAT!

Some of you might notice a difference in shade of colour.
But the roast was a mix of 85% Malabar and 15% monsooned Robusta.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

It's also possible that the Element broke and is touching the housing. You could try disconnecting and insulating both wires. It will smoke and the roast might run a bit longer but it will answer the question. As will just pulling the afterburner out from inside the roaster.

Ira

JK

#7: Post by JK »

I'd contact Joe at Behmor.. He provides excellent service...
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!