Behmor profiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jellybones

#1: Post by jellybones »

hey everyone. I've been browsing the roasting forum here and see most of you guys using the quest or huky. i started on popper and moved up to the behmor about a year ago, then upgraded the front panel in August. I had been getting some fairly good roasts before the upgrade by opening the door to control heat, but the upgrade allows so much more control. after finding this forum, I've started trying to shorten my overall roast times as well as stretching out 1C to match up with scott rao's advice. from everything I've read, I should be getting great results, but my 13 min, 10% development profiles were so much better. these recent roasts either taste like Cheerios with orange juice or are just flat and dull. anybody else here getting good results with the behmor or have some tips that could help me out?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I read Scott's Coffee Roaster's Companion and roast on a Behmor, but have not figured out how I would apply Scott's "Commandments" to this roaster. Since Scott's ROR and development time observations are based on a review of the profiles of stand-out coffee from commercial drum roasters of a different design from the Behmor I've decided not to sweat it and instead to focus on what works in the Behmor.

I do believe that experimentation and trying different profiles is worthwhile, I've done that for years, but I'm not so sure that you can apply much from other roasters to a Behmor profile, probably due to the low charge temp limitations of the roaster and slow start to yellowing, the time when the Behmor really has started roasting the coffee will be quite a bit delayed from other roasters.

I will also say that I've been logging my roasts (using a thermocouple tip under the lower quartz element to get a good idea of the heat output and a thermocouple tucked into the exhaust which gives me something closer to BT once the fan is on after the after burner kicks on) and was doing the door dance to control the profile before the Plus board came out, but I believe that being able to control the heat ramp without opening the door using the plus board has been giving me better roasts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272