Behmor cooling period

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
walt_in_hawaii

#1: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

A friend of mine is trying to dial in his roasting technique, but he has a Behmor 1600 purchased maybe 6 months ago. It is difficult to terminate a roast quickly, as it requires you to go through a few minutes of "cooldown" which a plug in watt meter confirms is still using about 600w... this is way too much for just the rotisserie motor, so there has to be a low amount of power going into the heating element as well even though you are trying to 'cool down' the roast.

Has anyone got any idea why the 1600 insists on a low-temp heating of the beans even though you are trying to cool them off? Has anyone installed a manual heating element cut-out in order to terminate roasts more quickly?

aloha,
walt

portamento

#2: Post by portamento »

I believe the afterburner element stays on during the first few minutes of cool down. That's where your power draw is coming from. Designed that way for smoke suppression (although a roast stopped and cooled quickly enough should not be producing smoke!)

Easiest solution is to open the door, slide out the chaff tray with an oven glove, and then point a high powered fan at the drum as it rotates on the cooling cycle.
Ryan

Advertisement
Zircote

#3: Post by Zircote »

I used a Behmor 1600 for over a year.
It is the after burner operating after the roast stops.
As for cooling I used hot pads or oven mitts opened the door pulled out the chaff
collector then removed the basket and dumped the beans in a colander set over a fan.
Cooled in no time.
I tried the fan directly into the machine once. To much chaff blowing around for me.
The machine is still hot and needs to go through its cooling cycle.

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

Simply opening the door right when you hit cool does a decent job.

walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#5: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Thanks guys!

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

I'm just getting started with a Behmor

I was given one and am trying to put it back together (had a roasting fire inside of it).

Got a + key pad to go in and I think it is going to need a motor as it seems noisy and speeds up and slows down.

Only 3 roasts through it so far (with the standard control panel).

I found it helpful to use welding gauntlets to put the drum in after a 2 minute pre-heat.

All 3 roasts I let the machine do its thing as far as cool down.

I won't do any more roasts in it until I get the + control panel installed

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee