Behmor 1600 Plus Power Toggle and Err2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
swisher103

#1: Post by swisher103 »

I've recently upgraded to the Behmor 1600 Plus control panel. Since that time I've been playing with toggling power between 100% (P5) and 75% (P4) until a minute or two before 1C in a 200g charge on 1 lb setting. On most occasions I am getting an Err2 message,which indicates burnt beans. When I move to manual mode I double drum speed as well. Why is this happening? When I remove the drum I do see some burnt greenies. They don't appear to be stuck in the drum so I can't figure out why they're burning. Ever since I got the Plus I haven't gotten a consistent roast yet. I might as well go back to standard profiles. Am I misunderstanding the functionality of the manual mode?

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I've had the same happen
Behmor 1600 too slow?

This looks like what jalpert does. Did you email Joe at behmor?

I suggest using the 1\2 setting as the afterburner will come on quicker and might cool things down. After burner at 1 lb setting starts at like 730.

When you get error 2, the drum stops agitating \ rotating. That's why you're getting some scorching

swisher103 (original poster)

#3: Post by swisher103 (original poster) »

Two comments to that:

1. With a 200g (~8 oz) charge, do you think that the 1/2 lb setting will be able to get me through 1C?

2. I believe the scorching is happening during P5, not after the drum stops rotating. I've noticed smoke sneaking out the front door prior to Err2 coming on.

Thanks again.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

With 200g I get FCS around 730 with Ethiopians. Total time for 1\2 is around 12:00 plus 2:30 of extra time. My roasts are usually 10 minutes..

Unless you have removed the bean cylinder before error 2, that's just conjecture

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

i've done some dry runs and got the error 2 both times. I think the problem might be the preheat. Jalpert's instructions say for the B thermister should be 200 for the preheat, which is about 3 minutes in my machine. Right before it goes to error 2, the A thermister is still at 129. Both on the 1 lb setting.

Im hesitant to try with beans. You would think the system could still operate with beans or not, but who knows.

Edit, I roasted a batch following the procedure except shortened the pre heat (standard 2 minutes, thermostat temperature of around 135). No issues.