Behmor 1600 Plus and RoR

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
djbetterly
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by djbetterly »

Has anyone been able to figure out a RoR curve for the Behmor's?

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I have, but it's probably not a lot of use to anyone else.

http://www.roasterthing.com/FrankenBehmor

I tried logging temperatures in the chamber for a year or so and finally decided it's likely useless. Once I did this, everything changed. But other than looking like a Behmor, it doesn't have a lot in common any more.

Ira

jalpert

#3: Post by jalpert »

I have as well:

- I put a thermocouple on the chaff collector as seen here:

- Below are 3 pictures show curves from various roasts. All had foil on the chaff collector to reflect the heat:

- Roast #3 is the standard P1-1lb setting. Roasts #1 and #2 were in manual mode, and you can see my power settings listed as events on the charts.

The beans are high-grown Nicaraguas, and they took heat a bit more readily than other greens (hence 1C was delayed about 30s here using a similar profile).

djbetterly (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by djbetterly (original poster) »

@jalpert, are you using a plus model or standard? If yes, how are the temps of your thermocouple comparing to the internal wall temp shown by the control panel?

Also, what software are you using?

jalpert

#5: Post by jalpert »

Plus model. The wall thermistor doesn't really seem to read temperatures, exactly. It's a thermistor, so what you're seeing is the resistance reading from the element, which has been translated into a (seemingly random) number. For instance, 200 on the B thermistor is about ~300ish on the thermocouple.

The moral of the story is: the wall thermistor should be treated as if it's reading temperature on it's own, proprietary scale. It may or may not correspond to F or C, and it may or may not be linear (though I think it is). I spent several months taking readings from the B thermistor every 30s and writing them down to generate a profile. It's internally consistent, but it can't be compared with anyone else's thermocouple readings.

I'm using Artisan to log roasts. It's awesome!

djbetterly (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by djbetterly (original poster) »

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a bluetherm duo on ebay....going to see how it works if I put it in a similar position as you did. I'm using the roastmaster software which I've been a huge fan of thus far.

Going to make a new post to see who's had luck with that setup, or if anyone can offer advice. I really don't like the internal wall thermistor reading so I'm hoping this will give me some insight.

Thanks!