Bali Blue Moon problems

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ron231

#1: Post by ron231 »

Relatively new to home roasting, have had good results before, but cant seem to get this (well rated) bali blue moon right, it pours extremely fast with anything except a near Turkish grind, and tastes extremely woody in a bad way.

Have tried about 5 different roasts on the behmor, including auto. Thoughts? For reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SLL ... ge_o03_s00

JK

#2: Post by JK »

I'm no expert!
I think Indonesian coffees you use a slow roast

He is some good info
http://www.coffeeshrub.com/shrub/conten ... -sweetness
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

HoldTheOnions

#3: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I just roasted first batch Sunday with poplite. Took it to 2c with my standard profile (charged 225grams and hit 300f at 5:15, 1c at 9:40, 2C at 11:50), will let you know how it turns out. They are the bluest beans I've seen, but they roasted real nice. Purchased from Coffee Bean Corral, but didn't know it was highly regarded, just randomly making my way around the world.

ron231 (original poster)

#4: Post by ron231 (original poster) replying to HoldTheOnions »

update?

HoldTheOnions

#5: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Dood, I shall drink no roast before it's time.

Jk, was waiting for hopper to run out :-). I had all berry, but was very subtle (I would call it bland actually). No wood whatsoever, but I bought from a different source, so maybe that has something to do with it. I think I dragged it out too long actually based upon the blandness, so going to tighten it up a bit and and start drinking a day earlier, to see if I can get more fruit, then also try a bit darker and see what I get with that. Will be a couple weeks though.

Reading your post, it sounds to me like you are too light. Reason I say that, is because I am almost thinking I didn't quite hit 2nd, but actually heard a late first bean go off, just because grinded up they looked quite a bit lighter than what I was expecting and they tasted like a 1c roast. Compared to other beans I've roasted, it should have been a darker roast based upon the final bean temp. It's hard to say after only one roast, but maybe they just roast lighter than what they appear. You might try longer as suggested, but you might also try a hotter overall and take it darker in the same time and see what that does. Maybe other people with more blue moon experience can give better advice.

HoldTheOnions

#6: Post by HoldTheOnions »

Seemed to be talking to myself at this point, but was bored Sunday and so went ahead and did another one. I meant to taste it starting on Wednesday, but forgot about it until today. I hit 300 at 4:50, 1c at 7:50, and final temp of 5f hotter than last one at 10:20. Went off a bit faster than I was shooting for. End result I lost most of the berry, a little bit left, and got mostly light chocolate, but more importantly no longer bland. Makes a very good single origin latte. I may not even blend it. I'm going to stretch it out a hair and try it a couple days earlier next time and see how that is, maybe get some more fruit.

Maybe try it from another source and see if it's not better, thinkin you gotta bad batch.

ron231 (original poster)

#7: Post by ron231 (original poster) replying to HoldTheOnions »

What are you roasting with?

HoldTheOnions

#8: Post by HoldTheOnions »

This sweet baby right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SocltulzVu4 It's ok to be jealous.

ron231 (original poster)

#9: Post by ron231 (original poster) »

HoldTheOnions wrote:This sweet baby right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SocltulzVu4 It's ok to be jealous.

very jealous... im on a behmor and am worried that it isn't good enough lol

HoldTheOnions

#10: Post by HoldTheOnions »

You could prolly put easter bunny chimney on your behmor and make it good too. Worth a shot.