Artisan suggestion: Roast librarian

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dogjamboree

#1: Post by dogjamboree »

Marko, I'm sure this has occurred to you before, if it hasn't already been discussed here on these forums, but have you considered implementing a way to search / query / manage roasts in Artisan, like a librarian of sorts? Currently I have a bunch of notes in evernote tagged with roast names and characteristics I'm looking for, but it would be pretty cool if you could do searches, or even better, queries against a set of roasts.

For example, this morning I was experimenting with aggressively managing my ET on natural process coffees, and I was wanting to pull up all natural process coffee's I'd roasted where the ET got over a certain temperature to see what my cupping notes said (to see if any of them were particularly good). For anyone who takes copious notes, this kind of functionality would allow us to go back and look for patterns in our data where we weren't expecting them previously.

On a related note, I was thinking it would really useful if one could customize what's displayed in that little area at the bottom of the screen that shows roast time (T), RoR, and ETBTa. I for one would love to see the max environment temperature reached in the roaster between charge and dropping (what Carl Staub calls MET). Others may not care so much about this number, which is why it would be cool if it was customizable.

BTW, thanks again for all the amazing work you and your team have done on Artisan. I'd volunteer to help out if my coding skills were worth a damn. I do have 15+ years of professional software quality assurance experience though, if you ever have testing needs.

Frank

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Frank,

a roast librarian was suggested before and I also implemented it (in use now for about 2 years). That implementation allows to load Artisan profiles into a database and run statistical analytics on them. I just tested it on Rao's commandments using about 150 profiles, but failed to identify statistical evidence for his 20-25% rule and the RoR-falling thing. His first commandment might be just true, but not new. However, as Rao's I am not sharing my evidence, but just these results.

That roast librarian in the first place handles your green coffee repository as well as roasts, blends, customers, equipment, maintenance tasks and so on and comes with a nice interface to run queries and draw all those pie-chart on different aspects.

While Artisan is available to all under a rather open license. This roast librarian has a rather strict license. It is available only to me for now and might never get released, mostly because I can't find the time to finalize it. In any case there is not much hope that this will be released as open-source, or closed-source free software. Sorry.

Your other note will taken care in one of the next releases. Thanks for pushing this. Had it on my own list for a while.

Marko

Advertisement
jmc

#3: Post by jmc »

Hi Marko,
I have been looking for something to keep track of my green bean inventory plus others with no success.
I would really happy to pay for a librarian such as you describe and which is done by you.
And I'm sure that others would too.
John

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

FWIW, both of these features (a roast library and an inventory tracking system) are integrated into the Roastmaster iPad app.
LMWDP #435

dogjamboree (original poster)

#5: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply Marko -- the librarian sounds amazing! I too would be willing to pay for something like this if you ever get motivated to finish it. I have a hard time considering software with a monthly license (like croptser), but paying a couple (or few) hundred bucks for such a potentially useful piece of software would be a no-brainer.

Frank

jmc

#6: Post by jmc »

[creative nickname] wrote:FWIW, both of these features (a roast library and an inventory tracking system) are integrated into the Roastmaster iPad app.
And not available on Android
John