Artisan Software, Installing Extra Thermocouples in Phidgets

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get Artisan set up and I am wondering if anyone besides me has found this was harder than expected?
I am more than grateful that is exists and that it is free and I am not complaining. I am just frustrated that I am finding it so difficult to figure out how to do it. I am posting this only because I am wondering if I have missed something crucial to the learning curve.

I've been here: http://coffeetroupe.com/artisandocs/

And I've been patching it together bit by bit by Googling my questions one at a time, but....if anyone has a link to "Artisan for a big Dummy", I would appreciate it.

I am getting there. It's just that it is still taking much more time than I am being able to spend just roasting and I'd like to change that balance, but now that I have all three of my T/Cs from the Huky going through the Phidget and to Artisan, I kinda need it just to even read my temps, much less log anything at all.

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Install the Phidgets driver for your platform from http://www.phidgets.com/docs/Operating_System_Support.

In the device assignment dialog of Artisan (menu Config >> Device) select "Phidget 1048" under meter in the ET/BT tab, add one extra device and select "Phidgets 1048_34" as "Device". You should see 4 LCDs with 3 of them showing the temperatures of your 3 thermocouples on pressing "ON".

This should be the simple setup to get going with the Phidgets 1048 and Artisan. What else do you need to start roasting?

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thank you Moshe and Marko.

That Device choice had me tripped up.
Now I think I am on the right track.

Susan

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

HI Marko,

I'm reviving this thread after following the instructions above. I have BT, ET and MET probes inserted in my Phidget 1048 device. There's no probe in the fourth connector of the Phidget. But Artisan has phantom limb pain. It's reading a fourth probe at 748.6 F.

Is there a way to label Extra 1 as MET?

Is there a way to eliminate the reading of a phantom probe?

Thanks!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

millcityroasters

#5: Post by millcityroasters »

Config
Device Assignment
Extra Devices

Uncheck LCD 2 and Curve 2

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters »

Change "Extra 1" to "MET"

Bob_M

#7: Post by Bob_M »

Thanks, Steve. I had a similar question and you answered it.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Worked like a charm, Steve, thanks.

For Mac users, if you don't see the boxes to uncheck, scroll to the right on the settings window.

I modified the title of the thread to make this easier to find.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!