Artisan Setup on Mill City TJ-072

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Army Coffee

#1: Post by Army Coffee »

Having problems with the way Artisan looks on my computer and hoping for some advice. I am running Windows 10 and the temperatures, buttons are not looking anything like anything I have seen.

See Buttons:

How do I make the buttons look Right? How do I increase the size of the TC Readouts?

Additionally, I am new to Artisan and trying to smooth out the ROR. Any Suggestions?

Thanks for any advice to make it look as good as so many of yours!
Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

keno

#2: Post by keno »

Don't know about the button issue but the waviness in the RoR looks more like an issue with what you are doing with the roaster than a problem with Artisan. Are you making a lot of changes to the gas and air? If so, then try to be more judicious with the changes you make. Sometimes less is more. Think of controlling the roaster as being like steering an oceanliner. It's going to take a little time for it to respond to changes and if you go too far then you find yourself over-correcting and that can cause the waviness.

Army Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Army Coffee (original poster) »

Getting control of this beast compared to a Hottop is probably the most important thing. I'm with you... heat control has been a challenge!

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

keno

#4: Post by keno »

Definitely. If you are going from a Hottop to a TJ-072 that's like going from a 15 foot boat to a yacht. You have a lot more thermal mass in that roaster so it may take a little longer to react to changes you make.

Give it some time and I'm sure you'll get a handle on the roaster and how to control it. Every roaster is different. For instance on my Huky 500 increasing air bumps up the temperature at first but then starts to bring it down, but that also depends on the amount of heat you are putting into it.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Drew,

Try to reduce variables. Maybe the guys at Mill City can suggest charge, air and gas settings, and see if you can vary one of these at a time.

I like the predictive curve on Artisan. When I make a change it has dotted lines anticipating where I'll be in a few minutes. Look at Tools --> Extras --> HUD (Heads Up Display)

The instructions on the Artisan site lag behind the implementation that's current, but the function is described here.

Also, I fixed your image display. Upload the images and put them inline as you did. Then highlight the URL of the image and click on the Img button at the top of your Edit Post window.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#6: Post by Army Coffee (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Drew,

Also, I fixed your image display. Upload the images and put them inline as you did. Then highlight the URL of the image and click on the Img button at the top of your Edit Post window.

Gary, Thanks, but I am not sure what this means?

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

BenKeith

#7: Post by BenKeith »

I don't use Artisan but what you are getting may be a problem with your Windows 10 display setup. I think Windows thinks everybody has 30" monitors and microscopic vision so I have to redo that whole display setup on my Surface Pro 3.
You may have done this already but if you go into settings and select DISPLAY
At the bottom your will see ADVANCED DISPLAY SETTINGS
At the bottom of the Advance Display Settings you will see Advanced Sizing
If you go in there you can change test sizes etc of how things are on the display. Just be sure to APPLY when done or the revert back to their default

#8: Post by Army Coffee (original poster) replying to BenKeith »

Ben,

Thank You! I can't wait to try this later on. Loved your description about Windows...Hopefully this works.

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

Army Coffee wrote:Gary, Thanks, but I am not sure what this means?

Drew
I'm just saying that you're doing almost everything needed to show your graphs. You didn't surround the internet address of the graph with image tags. When I did that your images displayed.

Posting images on HB

Okay, back on topic. Giddy Up!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#10: Post by Army Coffee (original poster) »

I am really excited about trying Ben's Comments...I am fairly certain this is a Windows thing, but not convinced yet...this was a promising lead!

Drew
Living The Dream!
NEC ASPERRA TERRENT