Artisan Settings vs. Artisan Profiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

I have Artisan on a laptop that I use out in the roasting room.
I also have Artisan on the computer in my office.

However the base configuration of the two is different (not because I want it to be).
So, if I save a profile and then open it on the desktop it looks quite different from the way it looks if I open it on the laptop.

What I am trying to figure out is how to get both computers using exactly the same settings. I can't figure out what the file name or extension is of the base settings so I can copy it from the laptop to the desktop or the other way around. I like having the option of working on it at either, but....the results aren't moving...

JK

#2: Post by JK »

You have to set the Smoothing and Axes the same..

Tools>Extras>Graph
Turn on Projection, Delta ET and BT
LCDs> Delta BT and ET
Make sure your Smoothing matches roaster PC
UI Tab> Resolution> I use 130 this adjusts the size of font in graph

Config>Axes
Axes time> 0 min-15 max > Locked (this or smoothing will change look of profile)
Temps> 100*min 500*max
Legend> lower Left
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Advertisement
SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

So, Artisan has to be set up identically but separately on each of the two computers?
That makes sense but somehow with as finely honed as so much of it is it seems there should be a way to simply duplicate the settings from one to another or copy a file that has the basic settings.

But....I guess you are telling me that is not so.
Fine...
Tomorrow I will set the laptop next to the desktop and just make sure all the settings are identical...

Sigh...
Did I forget to say Thank you?
Thank you :-)))

JK

#4: Post by JK »

I guess there is a file in the root folder but maybe its in the Registry..
Have you tried copying the artisan root folder to the other PC?

If you load a profile and change smoothing setting you will see what changes it does to graph..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

On Windows the app settings are stored in the registry. On Mac OS X there is .plist file in ~/Libraries/Preferences/. On Linux I not even know how those settings are stored. Artisan uses the platform defaults for this, decided by the underlying Qt library.

SJM (original poster)

#6: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks Marko.
I am using Windows.

Can someone explain l how I would transfer information from the registry of one computer to the registry of another? Or does the fact that the information is "in the registry" make that not do-able? I'm moderately competent digging around in the computer....but only moderately, so you are welcome to talk down to me in this case.

:wink:

edtbjon

#7: Post by edtbjon »

I will probably need to do this myself... I.e. I'm following this thread with great interest. :)

This link describes the procedure in general: http://www.pctools.com/guides/article/id/1/page/4/.

The thing is that some software really does clutter up the registry bigtime. But I guess that Marko have kept that part quite clean. But he is welcome to chime in about where to find the different settings/keys.

Advertisement
rgrosz

#8: Post by rgrosz »

I did some digging in the registry, and Windoze itself uses many areas for various aspects of artisan.
The most important area for storing user settings in artisan appears to be here:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\YourQuest\Artisan

There are numerous data items stored in that branch, as well as about 30 sub-branches underneath it.
Note that several items contain path information (drive letters and folder names). If you installed artisan to exactly the same location on both computers, then you won't have to edit any of the paths by hand.

You can navigate to the registry key shown above using the REGEDIT program. Then you can export the entire branch of the registry. Then you should be able to import that on the other computer.

LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

SJM (original poster)

#9: Post by SJM (original poster) »

I wonder if I could just move the section for Events or the section for Buttons?

I just got all the buttons configured on my laptop, and especially since you can't just move a button up or down, it's a real PITA to have to duplicate it all on another computer.

I'm still not complaining. This is awesome software !!!!

MaKoMo

#10: Post by MaKoMo »

I wouldn't mess with the registry on Windows. Instead save and load buttons and slider settings as part of the so called palettes.

Source Machine
1. Open the "Palettes" tab in the Events dialog
2. Click "Transfer To" to store the buttons/slider settings in the selected palette (eg. "palette #0")
3. Click "Save" to store all palette data into a file

Target Machine
4. Open the "Palettes" tab in the Events dialog
5. Click "Load" to restore all palette data from a file
6. Click "Transfer From" to restore the buttons/slider settings from the selected palette (eg. "palette #0")

Pressing the number keys 0-9, while the main window is shown is a quick way to activate the corresponding palette. Pressing the 's' key you can show/hide the sliders. Same for the 'b' key to show/hide the extra buttons. All keyboard shortcuts are documented in a help dialog accessible via menu Help >> Keyboard Shortcuts.

See also: http://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de ... ettes.html