Artisan Roaster Scope v0.6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#1: Post by MaKoMo »

(picture by [anonymized])

The version 0.6 of Artisan, an open-source software that helps coffee roasters to record, analyze, and control roast profiles, is now available for Windows, OS X and Linux.

<https://code.google.com/p/artisan/downloads/list>

The most important changes and additions w.r.t. v0.5.x are as follows.
  • Monitoring-only mode reporting readings on LCDs without recording
  • Event sliders e.g. to control the Hottop heater and fan via the HT Roaster Interface
  • Extended alarms triggered by time and temperature on any curve
  • Flexible Modbus RTU support allowing temperature reading and device control
  • Curve smoothing and spike filtering
  • New localizations: Arabic, German, Greek, Spanish, French, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Turkish, Dutch, Chinese and Hungarian
  • Windows installer, and icons on Windows and Linux
See <https://code.google.com/p/artisan/wiki/ReleaseHistory> for a detailed list of changes and the Artisan blog <http://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de> for details on some of the new features.

We are deeply grateful for the extensive support we received from many of you, especially in translating Artisan's more than 1200 phrases into several languages (more under preparation). We want to thank [anonymized], Brad Collins, Claudia Raddatz, Marcio Carneiro, Ostnes Runar, Yoshida Minoru, David Lahoz, Savvas Kiretsis, Wa'il, Lukas Kolbe, Oliver Schirmer, Kristoffer Johansson, Çetin Barut, Rubens Gardelli, Kyle Iseminger, Kalle Deligeorgakis, Matthew Sewell, Carlito Smith, Rich Helms, Carlos Pascual, Ingo, David Trebilcock, Matt Fischler, Jim Gallt, Gunnar Troll, Alex Fan, Piet Dijk, Bertrand Souville, Zoltán Kis and many others.

We do not take donations. But if you are using Artisan in a commercial setting, it would make us (and some others) happy if you would donate to Coffee Kids <http://www.coffeekids.org/>, a non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of life for children and families in coffee growing regions around the world.

The Artisan team

Advertisement
chris_n

#2: Post by chris_n »

does this version work on 10.4?

tamarian

#3: Post by tamarian »

Some significant changes, for me, missing from the release notes:

Fuji interface fixes. For those using Fuji PXR/PXG, this version fixed a few things that make the Fuji interface (Control button) more functional, like updating Ramp/Soak values during a roast works! I was just happy with the ET<>BT switch addition, which enabled PID'ing my fluid bed on the BT instead of ET.

Lowered auto-charge temperature, around 100C? Previously, it never worked for me since my roaster gets out of control in the drying stage if I charged at 150C+

In the Roast/Properties/Events, time and BT are shown for custom events. This is handy for sample roasting, when the custom events are sampling times.

MaKoMo (original poster)

#4: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

Easter eggs;)

MaKoMo (original poster)

#5: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

chris_n wrote:does this version work on 10.4?
What's 10.4?

chris_n

#6: Post by chris_n »

i'm sorry i meant osx version 10.4 :)

MaKoMo (original poster)

#7: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

Just to let you know that Coffee Kids http://www.coffeekids.org/ received their first donation from a happy Artisan user.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
MaKoMo (original poster)

#8: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

chris_n wrote:i'm sorry i meant osx version 10.4 :)
No, Artisan 0.6 requires at least OS X 10.6 and an Intel processor (clarified in the download section now). The last version supporting 10.4 and also PPC processors is 0.5.6 and can still be downloaded from the deprecated downloads section. Alternatively you can build it yourself from the latest source. There is no fundamental reason for the OS X 10.6 requirement. Just that Apple removed backward support in the latest XCode versions and I do not have an old system around to build Artisan for those older systems anymore.

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by AndreG »

I do believe that a donation is a very small gesture for the value of Artisan, even if I do not use Artisan for commercial reasons. I do not know how I could manage without it.

Thank you for work work and expertise.

Whale

#10: Post by Whale »

I cannot even begin to think of going back and roasting without Artisan!!

I must admit that for the last few updates I have not bothered with going and trying new features... I will try to give to latest release a thorough tryout.

I am and forever will be in debt to the Artisan team. Thank you guys!
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.