Artisan/Hottop 101

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Barrie

#1: Post by Barrie »

I am a new Artisan software user, having migrated from RoastLogger to harness the greater flexibility of Artisan. The field of logging and control of home roasters is not exactly new, but there are subsets that are developing and may merit their own location for exchange of information. Because I could not find one place where I could find answers to my Artisan-Hottop questions I thought I would start a new thread. At this stage of things there must be many HT owners who would like to learn more of the ABCs of logging and control via Artisan?

The outstanding volunteer work of the Artisan developers is so extraordinary that one hesitates to suggest something involving more work. That said, I would love to see a complete Users' Manual. The documentation on the website is good in many places but lacking in others. Some of it is not relevant to the latest version. For example, where is the NONE option in the Config/Devices dialog box?

At this early stage of implementing Artisan with my HT-HTC/TC4C setup, I have a few questions.
1. If I set up a 'profile' in Artisan, including various HT Events triggered from Alarms, how do I save that for future use? Although I saved the file, that component is not there when opened for a subsequent roast.
2. Could someone perhaps post their Alarms settings for the control of an HT run?
3. How does one get the heater and fan settings information into the graph area?
4. What is the trick to enabling the printout of a report?

I look forward to seeing if others share my interest.
Barrie.

Advertisement
JK

#2: Post by JK »

Are you using the SayStatic.exe program?
I have Artisan call out to me power changes, fan speeds and temperatures near end of roast..

I have to SC (start 2C) to trigger call outs.. If I use Charge it calls out low temp alarms while BT is dropping..

Also turn on Tools>Extras> Put Check In PROGECTION (Linear)

Its hard to explain and that's not my strong suit..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Barrie (original poster)

#3: Post by Barrie (original poster) »

JK wrote:Are you using the SayStatic.exe program?..
I am not familiar with the program. With the Hotop, an Arduino board is combined with a controller chip to which an Artisan "sketch" is installed. That board is the TC4C and the firmware acts as the intermediary between a computer and the HT. That interaction is executed through a for-the-purpose board, the so-called HTC. So, in my case there is a notebook computer connected to the TC4C/HTC combo and logging information in real time during a roast that the notebook is controlling automatically with Artisan software. Another more user-friendly option would be RoastLogger (with the RL sketch installed on the TC4C, instead of the Artisan one). Artisan offers more bells and whistles at the cost of being less user-friendly.

JK

#4: Post by JK »

Read up in the artisan online manual on how to use.

I'll try to post some screen shots of my settings

Barrie (original poster)

#5: Post by Barrie (original poster) »

I have spent a great deal of time going through the documentation, much of which is excellent. I guess I am just dumb enough not to be able to grasp it all right off. :(
It would be great to see some settings in addition to the Alarms shown on the website.

JK

#6: Post by JK »

you need to download the exe
Copy the exe into your root of artisan's folder (put SayStatic.exe in same folder as artisan.exe)

I'll try and write more tomorrow..
Its easy when you know how...

PM me your phone # tomorrow and a time to call

Barrie (original poster)

#7: Post by Barrie (original poster) »

I have downloaded SayStatic and have it working. Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out that there are some problems with the Windows version of Artisan, that are now in the process of being corrected.