Artisan For Dummies documentation?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dcoplan

#1: Post by dcoplan »

I've got the basics figured out but I'd like to understand the less obvious stuff like the options for Math, HUD, Wheel Graph, etc. I've looked this stuff up on the Artisan site but it assumes you already have a basic understanding of what all this stuff means in the first place. Which I don't. Or I'm not very smart.

Anyone know of a source that explains all the different features in an easy to understand format?

EggShen

#2: Post by EggShen »

I am also new to Artisan and running into the same problem/s. I have made some small, specific steps, each of which involved several bookmarked threads, YT videos, and PMs. I started with the documentation from http://coffeetroupe.com/artisandocs/your-first-roast/ and then tried to focus on specific issues one at a time and searched this forum and /r/roasting.

If you happen to find some massive repository with instructions, then please share. I will post anything worthwhile if I get lucky.

Good luck.

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

EggShen wrote:I am also new to Artisan and running into the same problem/s. I have made some small, specific steps, each of which involved several bookmarked threads, YT videos, and PMs. I started with the documentation from http://coffeetroupe.com/artisandocs/your-first-roast/ and then tried to focus on specific issues one at a time and searched this forum and /r/roasting.

If you happen to find some massive repository with instructions, then please share. I will do the same via PM if I get lucky.

Good luck.
Thanks for that helpful link.

Please document anything you learn publicly so others can benefit and can build on what you share. That's the nature of open source.

Personally I have been using it awhile but know very little beyond the basics.
LMWDP #603

EggShen

#4: Post by EggShen »

Will do. TBH I sort of thought I was WAY behind the curve because I am so new and that any info I had might be well covered already.

dcoplan (original poster)

#5: Post by dcoplan (original poster) »

Would be great if we could all collaborate on this together but I don't know the best way to do this. Any ideas?

Like some sort of organized database that breaks down each menu item into its own list of chapters that people can contribute to in developing an easy to understand description for everything that makes up Artisan with examples, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this? I did a quick search for creating online instruction manuals but they all cost money. Maybe just a simple Google Doc? Or something we can build on the forum here?

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

I made a stab at it with these docs
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
However.....I got bored and didn't go any further....

#7: Post by dcoplan (original poster) »

I got started on a database and then quickly realized how much work this could end up being. I checked out your link and I started one as well...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

A bit dry but maybe with the easy info we're all looking for could end up being a good reference? And if we get a handful of people in on this then hopefully it won't be much work at all. I've entered very little info - just set it up. Note the different tabs (sheets) at the bottom, each one representing a different menu item.

Advertisement
billsey

#8: Post by billsey »

Look into hosting a Wiki... That would give the easiest result I think. I set one up a few years ago and it was pretty simple.

#9: Post by dcoplan (original poster) »

Hosting a wiki seems like a really good idea but with limited time I think I'm going to stick with the spreadsheet I created on Google Drive for now.

If anyone has any information they'd like to contribute to it, feel free to post it here and then I can add it to the spreadsheet or you can PM me. The spreadsheet should be viewable by anyone at...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

For now it's very basic: menu items with a description as to what they do but the idea is to build it out to more of an 'Artisan for Dummies' document. Very little filled out at the moment but I'll get to it.

Example: The actual Artisan documentation says that the Math Plotter "is a tool to look for mathematical patterns in profiles." Great. What the hell does that mean? And how do we actually use it? And what's with the formulas?

So that's the idea behind this project. To make sense of everything Artisan can do for greater understanding but more importantly, BETTER COFFEE!

Tourman

#10: Post by Tourman »

I really appreciate what is being addressed here. We have so much we can learn from each other, but the struggle always seems to be how to find what you are looking for, especially if they just happen to pop up as part of some other thread. Thanks for taking this on!

If this doc becomes a "clearinghouse" for all info relating to use of Artisan, would/should it also include a place where problems/questions get raised? Often it is through the questions and problem solving that we discover that the instructions for how to use Artisan are deficient. Just asking...
Dan

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen