Artisan Error Messages with TC4/Arduino

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Clint Orchuk

#1: Post by Clint Orchuk »

We finally got the Omega K type ungrounded probes installed and attached to the TC4/Arduino combo that we bought from the seller engadgets off of eBay. The board is connected to a Macbook Pro laptop with a panel mount USB cable. The seller had asked which probes we would use and which roasting software we would like to install and indicated he would install it.

I've been trying to get it operational. I selected the TC4 as the device. I keep getting an error message that states:
Exception: ser.ARDUINOTC4temperature(): [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'COM4'@line 21564

We're using Artisan 7.5 and OSX 10.9.2. Is it possible that Artisan is not installed? I've looked around for installation instructions for Mac, but only find Windows versions. Thanks

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo replying to Clint Orchuk »

Install the FTDI driver for Mac OS X v2.2.18 from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#3: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip Marko. I installed the driver but I still get the exact same error message. I'm not comfortable using terminal so I had a software developer who has an office in the back of our coffee house come up and do the installation. Still get the same message.

MaKoMo

#4: Post by MaKoMo replying to Clint Orchuk »

A Mac does not has a COM4 serial port. Do the following:

1) configure Artisan for the TC4
  • open the Device Assignment dialog (menu Config >> Device), tick "Arduino TC4"
2) configure the right serial port
  • connect your TC4 to the USB port
  • open the Serial Ports Configuration dialog (menu Config >> Serial Port)
  • ET/BT tab: click the "Comm Port" menu and select the correct port (should be "FT232 USB UART")
  • Ensure that baud-rate is set to 19200, byte size to 8, parity to N, Stopbits to 1, Timeout to 1
3) test

#5: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Thanks Marko. I followed your instructions but the three choices that show up are:

COM4
/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
/dev/cu.usbmodemfa131

I chose:/dev/cu.usbmodemfa131 and now I can see the blue and the red lines for BT and ET.

MaKoMo

#6: Post by MaKoMo replying to Clint Orchuk »

Couldn't know that you connected the TC4 via your modem. Glad to hear that it works now.

#7: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

No, it's connected to the USB port on the mac.

#8: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Still can't get it to work successfully. The error message I consistently get now is:

Exception: ser.ARDUINOTC4temperature(): list index out of range@line 21627

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Many thanks,
Clint

MaKoMo

#9: Post by MaKoMo »

Clint Orchuk wrote:Is it possible that Artisan is not installed?
Might be that no the correct firmware/sketch is installed on your TC4. The correct one is contained in the archive aArtisan-REL-200a.zip that you can get from https://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/downloads/list.

You can follow the Windows installation instructions, which is very close to what you have to do on the Mac:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4HTX5 ... sp=sharing

#10: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

When I hit the ON button on Artisan, it says "Scope monitoring" and the probe temperatures show the correct reading (room temperature). When I press the START button, the two probe lines drop down to the bottom, the temperatures show -1.0, and I get the error message: ARDUINOTC4temperature(): list index out of range@line 21627. If I then press OFF and RESET, then press ON again, I instantly get the same error message.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Artisan on my mac, and checked all of the connections. If I'm initially getting it to work before I get the error message, is it still possible that I don't have the correct firmware/sketch on the TC4? The seller installed Artisan and tested it before it was sent to me.

I looked at the Windows installation instructions that Marko recommended, but since I've never used Windows, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.