Artisan comm ports on Ubuntu

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jmc

#1: Post by jmc »

Hi,
I am currently trying to set up Artisan in anticipation of getting my new JYR / North 1kg gas roaster.
I have a TC4 / Arduino Uno which I bought on Ebay and am using the latest version of Ubuntu, connected by USB.
My problem is that after I go to Config / Device and then to Serial Ports, the drop down only shows COM4 and a bunch of ttys*** entries.
There is no SCAN button, so I can't ask Artisan to search for the port.

Using " lsusb" in Terminal the report shows the Arduino, so Ubuntu knows it is there.
I have searched here and elsewhere but am at complete loss.

John
John

tamarian

#2: Post by tamarian »

I think you can type directly the com port into the config/serial port/COM port. If you insert the USB in, type dmesg in a terminal and see what the port is called, like 2-1.4 or whatever name is assigned to it. Make sure you have the latest build as there were fixes posted after 0.7 release.

Barrie

#3: Post by Barrie »

In a previous version there was a scan option, but that was omitted in the latest iteration because the computer 'finds' the correct comm port if everything is hooked up correctly. If the latter is the case it should be in the scroll box/drop-down list. If it is not there, then you might try a different USB port on the computer, try a different USB cable, or check whether you have the appropriate firmware and connections at the roaster end of things. I assume you have selected the correct device in Config/Device?

Barrie

#4: Post by Barrie replying to Barrie »

I should perhaps have added the specific requirement that you have installed the Artisan sketch on the Arduino board? If it would be useful, there is a beginner's guide available on the HRO website. It is written for Artisan with the Hottop but most of it would probably apply.

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

Barrie,

Could you specify that HRO website URL? I'd like to look into that.

Thanks,

Flint
LMWDP #198

Barrie

#6: Post by Barrie »

http://www.homeroasters.org/php/downloads.php

You have to be a member of the Homeroasters to download anything from their excellent website but that is no big deal. Alternatively, if you send me your email in a PM I could send you a copy, either as a Word doc or a pdf file. The former is a bit better resolution.
There will be a version 2 of the guide soon; Artisan is evolving and version 7.2 is on its way.

Chert

#7: Post by Chert »

I'm after the Artisan sketch source code. I think I could find that with a web search. Sorry for my unclear query. I should avoid posting quick questions while I'm trying to wrap things up at work.
LMWDP #198

tamarian

#8: Post by tamarian »

TC4 sketches, including aArtisan can be found here:

https://code.google.com/p/tc4-shield/downloads/list

Barrie

#9: Post by Barrie »

As I recall, you can open the sketch with the Arduino software?

Chert

#10: Post by Chert »

I opened the sketch with arduino. It may be quite instructive for me. But no more than that because the TC4 is not available. There are other ways to monitor temperature with Arduino. Thanks though and sorry for leading the discussion astray.
LMWDP #198