Artisan beta roasting software available - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Arpi (original poster)

#81: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

Why1504 wrote:Marco,

I am having difficulty getting the Omega HH806AU to communicate with my MacBook Air using the new version. It refuses to talk across the USB port. Any advice???
Hi

Do you have installed the latest driver on your computer (for Omega HH806AU)?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

See Currently Supported VCP Drivers: Mac OS X on the link above

Bob_M

#82: Post by Bob_M »

FWIW I had the same problem this morning...turned out my usb plug wasn't far enuff into the hh806au's port...seems like u have to give it an extra push

MaKoMo

#83: Post by MaKoMo »

Why1504 wrote:Marco,

I am having difficulty getting the Omega HH806AU to communicate with my MacBook Air using the new version. It refuses to talk across the USB port. Any advice???
Don't forget to set the correct port in the serial settings (menu Conf/SerialPort). For the Omega HH806AU it defaults to "COM11" which might not be very useful on a Mac. You can use the "Scan for Ports" button while your meter is connected and turned on. After this scan there should be something like "/dev/tty.usb.." in the "Comm Port" popup.

Cheers,
M.

Runaro

#84: Post by Runaro »

I have now ordered a Center 309 datalogger :D and I hope that future development of the software will enable all 4 channels to be used. The 309 comes with two K-type wire probes, I am a bit unsure how well this type of probe will penetrate the bean mass to measure the BT. Would it be wise to order a steel probe that I can bend into the bean mass for probing? Would it be smart to go for a more sensitive J type probe or is the K type sufficient? My initial idea about probe placement for BT is the left screw hole of the sight glass, and maybe place the ET probe in the bolt hole directly above the drum shaft (see picture on my last posting). It will be an easy installation with no need to drill any holes, but I am unsure ablut the location.

Arpi (original poster)

#85: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

Hi folks. We are doing fast improvements and 0.3.4 is ready. Our base of developers is also getting bigger, better, and stronger.

V.0.3.4
- adds ArduinoTC4 device support
- adds TE VA18b device support
- improved Fuji PXR/PXG support
- support for file paths with accent characters
- main window layout improvements
- improved events visualization and capacity
- improved roasting properties dialog
- statistic characteristic line as y-label to ensure visibility if axis limits are changed
- duplicate recent file names show containing directory
- remembers user selected profile path
- added DeltaET/DeltaBT filter to make those delta curves more useful
- adds volume and bean probe density
- adds new command to start/restart roasts
- bug fixes

http://code.google.com/p/artisan/downloads/list

The Artisan Team.

Carneiro

#86: Post by Carneiro »

Great stuff!!!

For those who want to use the Arduino + TC4, you just have to reply to serial command "READ\n" with a writing to the serial line with "t0,t1,t2\n" where t0 is the ambient temperature, t1 is BT and t2 is MET or ET. The actual code in the TC4 repository writes to the serial every second.

As the MCP3424 takes 270ms to convert each channel (using 18-bit) I keep it reading the temperature even if there is no data in the serial line. The worse case scenario should be the Artisan asking for data just when the 3424 is starting the conversion. I think the chip can be configured to a continuos convertion mode but I have to change Jim's library to do that.

Márcio.

Runaro

#87: Post by Runaro »

I got my Center 309 today and did a provisional installation/testrun. I have a Toper Cafemino (gas).I am really impressed with the Artisan software and believe that as soon as I have gained some experience using it, it will be a really useful tool :) . I have ordered some metal temperature probes that I hope will be easier to place (bend) in the optimal locations for ET and BT probing. For now I placed the wire probes as shown on the picture below, with the ET probe just above the center shaft (screwhole for the exhaust) and the BT probe in the screwhole of the sighting window aided with some metal wire to bend it downward into the beanmass.

As usual with a 900gr load of beans I dropped the beans at 180C on the Toper temperature readout (ET showed 232C on the Center 309). I did the roast with thew air valve set to minimum for the first 9.5 minutes and got a gradual increase in the ET from about 175C to 225C. Then I opened the airvalve 50% and the temp imediately went up to 250C. At 11.5 minutes the set temperature of 195C on the Toper was reached and the gas supply was cut.I dropped the beans just above 14 minutes at a BT of 214C. Things went a bit hectic at the end trying to note everything and push the buttons on the Software. Missed the software input for FC end and SC :oops:

The Toper temperature probe correlated fairly well with BT after about 2 minutes, however 5-10C below Center 309 BT). For some reason the Delta BT and Delta ET went "all over the place"and I was not able to undestand it.
In the html report of the roast, the weight loss of 15,6% automatically classified the roast as Full City. Somewhere else on internet it would, based on wight loss alone, be classified as a City roast. I have tried to find information on the relationship between weight loss and roast degree, can anyone help me out? And how are the roast categories defined in the software?
I am very excited and impressed with the Artisan software, it is intuitive to use and set up and gives a lot of information to the roaster.

Why1504

#88: Post by Why1504 »

Arpi wrote:Hi

Do you have installed the latest driver on your computer (for Omega HH806AU)?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

See Currently Supported VCP Drivers: Mac OS X on the link above

Duh. Traveling too much, I forgot.

Viernes

#89: Post by Viernes »

Hi,

from the Artisan supported devices, which one should I buy or avoid? I have no idea. With good price/quality relatonship if it's possible. :)

Whale

#90: Post by Whale »

LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.