Artisan 0.7.5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#1: Post by MaKoMo »

Artisan v0.7.5 has been released.

http://code.google.com/p/artisan/

It's mostly a bug fix release, but also adds
  • Event Quantifiers
  • Symbolic variables for background temperatures (see Virtual Devices and Symbolic Assignments)
  • CM quality as additional statistic measure, computing for ET and BT the average error squares wrt. the corresponding curves from the background profile aligned by DROP, comparing readings from DRY to DROP. CM=<ET>/<BT> gives you a quality measure on how well the foreground profile duplicates the background profile.
  • Modbus port merger. For users of of Fuji devices that want to access other Modbus devices on the same bus or who need custom event buttons to send specific commands to their devices, the Fuji device can now be configured to use the same serial port (Modbus ring) as the Modbus meter implementation (flag "Modbus port").
See Release History the full list of changes.

Note that downloads are now via a GoogleDrive as GoogleCode closed down its download section.

The Artisan team

rgrosz

#2: Post by rgrosz »

MaKoMo wrote:Artisan v0.7.5 has been released.
http://code.google.com/p/artisan/

Note that downloads are now via a GoogleDrive as GoogleCode closed down its download section.
You won't find version 7.5 shown on the left hand side of the page at the link above. You should follow these steps instead:

1. Click the Downloads link/tab at the top of the artisan page
2. Click on the Artisan GoogleDrive link
3. Click on the folder for 0.7.5 to see the Mac / Linux / Windows downloads:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... 0NFdG1qUFk
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

MaKoMo (original poster)

#3: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) »

Thanks Rick for this explanation. I now deleted the old downloads from the left side bar to avoid further confusion. Further, I agree that the distribution via GoogleDrive is a step back. Still I am happy that Google provides the hosting for Artisan for free. Thank you Google!

Marko

PacMan

#4: Post by PacMan »

Currently trying to get my new TE VA18B to work with artisan 0.7.5 on a macbook pro running 10.6.8 but I seem to be running into some problems.

I start up artisan, I go to configure device and click TE VA18B and then in serial ports its set up for:

Comm Port: USB-Serial COntroller
Baud: 2400
Byte: 8
Parity: N
Stopbits: 1
Timeout: 1

I plug the meter in and turn it on, and then hit on in the main artisan window. At this point i can't get past "scope monitoring..." and BT reads -1.0.

I had perviously been using a EXTECH 421509 with a previous version of artisan, can't remember which version, with no issues.

Any help would be great. Thanks

MaKoMo (original poster)

#5: Post by MaKoMo (original poster) replying to PacMan »

I might not be of any help, as I do not own this device and I did not develop the communication code for that device. I just checked and found that the corresponding code was not changed since v0.4.1 (about 3 years ago). I remember that once someone having trouble connecting the VA18B, did had success selecting HHM28 as device in Artisan. Hope some others will be of more help to get you running.

PacMan

#6: Post by PacMan »

Thanks for responding. I did try selecting hhm28 but that did not work either. Hopefully someone else is also using this meter and can help out.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by SAS »

I'm using Ubuntu 12 and Artisan isn't picking up the default printer. It is showing print to PDF or Postscript choices but not printer. Other programs do print to the default printer.

Any suggestions?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Arpi

#8: Post by Arpi »

PacMan wrote: I plug the meter in and turn it on, and then hit on in the main artisan window. At this point i can't get past "scope monitoring..." and BT reads -1.0.
Hi. I don't own the meter either but I think you have to manually put your meter in serial mode by pressing a button. See your manual. You should see an indication on the display that says the meter is in serial mode. I think they did this to save on batteries.

Good luck.

PacMan

#9: Post by PacMan »

Thanks for the response. Yes, I do manually put the meter in serial mode when I turn it on.

Currently trying to track down software to see if it's the interface between artisan and the meter or the serial out from the meter that's screwy.

JimG

#10: Post by JimG »

There is an update available for the aArtisan.ino sketch for the TC4 boards for those using Artisan to log/monitor, or control their Hottop roaster directly. This sketch is written for TC4C systems and TC4/Arduino Uno systems.

Version 3.0 of aArtisan.ino may be downloaded here. (This is a zip file containing Arduino source code and a couple of helpful text files).

Improvements:
  • A new command (DCFAN) has been added. The new DCFAN command is nearly identical to the present IO3 command, except that DCFAN enforces a slowed ramp up (no more than 25% per second) in fan output. Some Hottop roasters have experienced unexpected mid-roast resets when applying sudden fan speed increases using the IO3 command. ALL WHO ARE USING ARTISAN TO CONTROL THEIR HOTTOP ROASTER SHOULD CHANGE FROM IO3 TO DCFAN TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM.
  • The serial communication rate has been increased to 115,200 baud.
  • Temperatures are now logged to 2 decimal places. This was requested by the developers of Artisan to assist in RoR calculation.
Jim

(cross posted on Homeroasters.org and greencoffeebuyingclub.com)