Any experience with a Salton PC2 popcorn popper

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ben8jam

#1: Post by ben8jam »

So I went to Goodwill today to buy some picture frames, and what do you know, but there was a single (and working) popcorn popper. I came across a video at Sweet Maria's on how to roast beans in a popcorn popper and dying to try it.

Anyone done it? Or specifically used a Salton PC2 popper?

I'm not sure if I'm honestly having so much fun diving into learning more about coffee or if it's the extra caffeine from all the french press I've been drinking lately :)

day

#2: Post by day »

I have tried westbend poppery for it. I hated the coffee I produced. It hapens way too fast, and you have no control over the specifics. It ended up creating a super high acid and just all around terrible unpleasant taste. At least IMO, but that is a common problem.

It can be fixed with mods, I dont know about that particular one, but I know on the old WestBend models you can swap out the function of the buttons, so that you can turn the heating element on and off with the switch and you can do a variety of other modifications to make it improved.

Personally, I think stovetop is the way to go for a tight budget, though there is a learning curve and you need someway to keep heat even across the pan and low, and to work outside, preferably in a garage or other place shielded from the elements.

It fun though, no doubt about that.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

ben8jam (original poster)

#3: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

day wrote:Personally, I think stovetop is the way to go for a tight budget, though there is a learning curve and you need someway to keep heat even across the pan and low, and to work outside, preferably in a garage or other place shielded from the elements.
Yes, that's the other method I was looking at. Using the handcranked stainless popcorn popper on the bbq grill's sideburner outside. And rigging a powerdrill to make it an automated agitator. But thought before I build that out, to try this little Salton. Read that it doesn't get hot enough for 2nd crack, but will try to add a tin coup can on top to retain some of the heat.

day

#4: Post by day »

My friend uses his grill and has appeared to have some success, though I have yet to get to try any of his beans (I finally made it up to his place and we were going to have a roasting and tasting. I stopped on the way up, bought a La Pavoni, walked in his house..when my daughter suddenly had an emergency and we went from in his house to spending the night at the hospital to home...) However, I did get to see his setup. I used a coleman portable propane grill, and it had two major problems. The burner was too small making uneven heating, and the regulator was too imprecise. He had a much larger burner and better regulator. If you have both of those inplace then it might work out pretty well. Though beware that outside temperature and especially wind, will have a major effect and significantly reduce control.

I just recently got a portable induction cooktop-thats my personal recommendation and I have research a bunch of models coil sizes if you ever want to know, shoot me a message-as it allows for more precise control and temperature/wattage management. If you can get your hands on one of these http://popandroast.com/ they are absolutely fantastic. You might even be able to just shoot them an email and see if they will sell you the top, then scoure Marshalls and TJ Maxx for a fitting 5.5qt lid. I personally think it is worth it to have perfect little holes in the silicone for a thermoprobe and the glass to monitor progress, but I can see the advantage to the whirlypop in cost.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone