Anticipating resting time after roasts

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Italyhound »

I typically begin drinking roasts at day 3. Some seem to improve later on, others not so much. Heck, maybe some roasts are good from the get go but I haven't tried that yet.

There must be something about different beans that make them benefit from longer rest times although I don't know what that is. I only had 1 year each of general and organic chemistry so I have some random thoughts: Reactions that start with roasting that are then slow to move along at room temps, degradation of less tasty compounds into tastier ones that vary with different beans, different degassing rates which might then allow further oxidation toward more pleasant properties inside the bean.

From a practical standpoint, I am wondering if certain regions, altitudes or processing methods help to dictate when I should be letting my roasts rest longer?

Thoughts appreciated.

tamarian

#2: Post by tamarian »

I don't know the answer for different resting times due to regions, altitudes or processing methods. I mostly roast African naturals. However, I noticed that rest time can be different due to roast degree. and speed.

For roast degree, I've seen it mentioned a few times here, and found it to be true, the lighter the roast, the longer the required rest. But I also found that fast roasts, especially faster in the drying stage, require more rest, while those spending more time and slower drying, can cut the rest in half. This I found by accident with a local HB'er, and it made it fun to enjoy Tchembe on day 4, while previously had to wait a week or so.

Advertisement
MerleApAmber

#3: Post by MerleApAmber »

Evan, Wa'il,
I also am green to the way of the bean. One aspect I found interesting was discussions of the amounts and time liberated CO2 requires to off gas. In the points folk were making therewith it seemed I was reading of longer times for espresso dark roasts to settle to enjoyable roast flavors. Personally I do not have enough experience with my roasts to say. Like you I hope to learn more here.
-Chris

dustin360

#4: Post by dustin360 »

I have noticed some trends with resting coffees.

Everyone seems to know lighter ='s longer and darker equals shorter rest times.

Naturals seem to increase in deliciousness and peak around 5 to 7 days. Though recently ive noticed that my fast Worka(dp Ethiopian) roasts have really been falling flat on day 7, but are amazingly sweet before that.

Floral/fruits seem to fade first, but toffee/caramel/chocolate can be there two weeks out or more.

It probably has the most to do with bean density and how much the cellular structure has been compromise, on how long the coffee will be good for and when it will peak.

bwcasolo

#5: Post by bwcasolo »

my single origins vary, i am finding this blend i roasted is coming alive after 4 days, i had almost given up on it.
i only roast 6-8 oz at a crack, so i plan accordingly and roast enough to let sit a few days. single's sit for min 2 days. cheers

zombiecoffee

#6: Post by zombiecoffee »

I roast mostly Mexican beans, Chiapas and such.
Light roasts, at first crack, very acidic. They need to rest at least 4 days or they taste metallic.
Anyone can turn green beans brown...

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

Thanks, zombie.

I have a mexican COE resting, day 3 now.