Ambex YM-2 Roaster ET Probe Placement

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Clint Orchuk

#1: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Has anyone here added an a extra probe to monitor ET on a YM-2? We're in the process of trying to do so. We're trying to keep it away from the exhaust airflow and away from the drum vanes and spokes and the beans. We've got an 3" Omega TJ36 K type probe. We are also replacing the stock BT probe with the same probe with two leads. One to the Watlow and the other to a TC4. We had this probe made a little longer so we can bend it a little to get the best placement in the beans. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

danetrainer

#2: Post by danetrainer »

Hi Clint, I used a 4" J type Omega probe for BT when I replaced it last, will try and take
a pic for you tonight of the bends & installation. I'm happier with readings compared to the
stock (short) probe that was too high of location, readings seem more consistent with lower bean
mass, that said I will not charge below 454g.

I've thought long and hard on the ET probe, same ideas as you, not wanting to get in the exhaust flow
and no real good location that I have discovered for inlet heated ambient air. Hope you figure out a
solution since I would be wanting to add one too. The stock analog dial is mostly useless.

danetrainer

#3: Post by danetrainer »

The top photo shows the "S" shape of my probe and the lower one shows the relation to the vanes. The photo doesn't show it well but it only clears them by 1/4" or so...

Clint Orchuk (original poster)

#4: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

Thanks Pat. So your BT probe is bent straight down after it leaves the compression fitting, then bent again so it points toward the rear of the roaster? The probe Omega made for us is 5" long so I hope I can make it work. A well know roaster advised me today to place the ET probe at the 2 o'clock position on the face plate, so I marked a placement as best I could (hoping to clear the vanes) and will get it drilled and tapped tomorrow.

How did you bend the probe? Did you bend it before or after you inserted it in to the compression fitting?

Aaron

#5: Post by Aaron »

Clint Orchuk wrote: How did you bend the probe? Did you bend it before or after you inserted it in to the compression fitting?
I bent my BT probe after it was installed through the faceplate. Once I had the correct length inside the roaster i cinched the probe in place and bent as needed. Mine is in a similar place as Pat's but the opposite side of the door.

For ET I replaced the stock probe with an Omega probe. The depth is similar to the stock probe.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

danetrainer

#6: Post by danetrainer »

Clint Orchuk wrote:Thanks Pat. So your BT probe is bent straight down after it leaves the compression fitting, then bent again so it points toward the rear of the roaster? The probe Omega made for us is 5" long so I hope I can make it work.
How did you bend the probe? Did you bend it before or after you inserted it in to the compression fitting?
I did it the same way as Aaron, slipped the compression fitting on and mounted that in the faceplate, then bent the probe being careful not to kink it, you want smooth rounded bends, that is why mine is in a "S" shape. You have a good length of probe to work with, it will be no problem.

On the 2 o'clock position for your ET probe...how far out from the center-line of the drum/faceplate are you going to drill?

Mr Bill

#7: Post by Mr Bill »

Greetings Clint,

Terry Davis (Ambex) and Paul Ribich (Watlow) authored an information packed article in the Feb/Mar 2004 issue of Tea & Coffee magazine which is available online. I don't know how to enter a url here however a quick google search should take you right there. Using the information in the article along with a bit of experimentation, I installed ET & BT sensors on my 3K Diedrich with excellent results.

Cheers - Bill

#8: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

I've seen the article from Terry Davis and it does have a wealth of information. I'll post a photo and a measurement of the ET location after it's finished at the machinists. Did you bend your probe by hand or with a tool? How did you get a nice, large radius bend?

Aaron

#9: Post by Aaron »

I bent it by hand. It's very easy to bend.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

#10: Post by Clint Orchuk (original poster) »

We had the face plate at the machinist yesterday and he drilled and tapped the plate for the compression fitting. The three inch Omega probe just clears the vanes by a quarter inch. It's at the 2 o'clock position on the face plate.