Aillio Bullet R1 roasting machine - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jagobear (original poster)

#31: Post by jagobear (original poster) »

Lowlander

#32: Post by Lowlander »

Is it just me or is the drum rpm really high?
I like to think of roasting as something that relaxes me, but this would get me stressed.

jagobear (original poster)

#33: Post by jagobear (original poster) »

The rpm of the drum can adjust when plugin computer

yakster
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by yakster »

There was a lot of buzz around this product at the show and among my friends. I think that the looks of this are really captivating and it's tempting to look at this as an upgrade from a smaller roaster. I'll try and capture my thoughts and the thoughts of others.

There's two models offered, a 120 V and a 240 V version. The 240 V version will be limited to the same output power as the 120 V, but one of the Aillio staff at the booth hinted that someone might be able to figure out how to increase the output power of the 240 V version. He also said that because the 240 V version would draw less current, it should be more reliable. A friend of mine asked about the three roasts per day limitation and was told that this is based on a 7 year MTBF roaster life based on the motor. I asked about back-to-back roasts and said that there's no issue, but you'll want to cool the roaster to your desired drop temp. My friend also asked about this and was told that not cooling the roaster between roasts might cause the motor to overheat, the motor seemed to come up in the conversation several times as a weak link.

The chaff collector is small and removable, with a small rectangular vent hole that has an adapter to a standard 3" vent pipe. This collector looks like it could get clogged and the venting on it doesn't look up to the task for a 1 K roaster, but they weren't doing any actual roasting at the show, just show and tell. The cooling tray is plastic, looks like a colander with a separate computer fan attached to it, not connected to the roaster.

The roaster uses induction heating, not a heating element. The drum, which is insulated from the case so that the case will remain cool-ish, acts as the heater with the currents induced in it. This should improve the efficiency of the roaster and possibly lengthen the MTBF without heating element failures to worry about.

Conflicting things were heard about thermocouples. I heard that there'll be a BT but no ET thermocouple, and that the minimum roast is 350 grams so that the BT can hit the bean mass. The thermocouple was not installed in the roaster, but you could feel a hole in the front door where it would be. I was told that you could drill a hole to add an ET probe, but it wouldn't be logged by the roaster. Other's heard that there would be no BT probe, just a probe in the air mass but because of the efficiency of the roaster this would be better than a BT probe (?).

There's no sightglass or trier with this roaster which limits your visibility of the roast. I'm looking forward to hearing actual user feedback on this roaster.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

frachlitz

#35: Post by frachlitz »

It looks promesing. I have also heard that there were a lot of positive buzz in Seattle.
I think i will take a chance and pre-order. I am getting tired of my Hottop's 230-240g max.

Probes:
I know for sure that there are 2!
1. BMT
2. Drum temp (so not ET as a hottop).

I dont understand som of your last words. There ARE both a sightglass and a tryer in the roster. (I belive the tryer is extra).
LMWDP #521

AssafL

#36: Post by AssafL »

If the heat source is induction direct to the drum - won't that mean that the majority of the bean heating will be due to conduction? If so, won't that result in more tipping and other conduction defects? Perhaps air cooling will lower the drum temp sufficiently?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

kwantfm

#37: Post by kwantfm replying to AssafL »

Good point. I'm guessing that this probably explains the incredibly fast drum rotation speeds on the early videos.
LMWDP #602

[creative nickname]

#38: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've never seen an image that includes a tryer, but the sightglass can be clearly seen (it is part of the door). The efficiency of induction does seem to allow for some potential gains over what electric roasters have been capable of in the past, so that is an interesting insight into how they can achieve their claimed results. I'm still dying to see an independent review by a skilled roaster, which would go along way towards answering many of the questions that have been asked on this forum.
LMWDP #435

yakster
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by yakster »

Ah, right, there is a sightglass built into the door, I was incorporating the thoughts of others in our post Expo discussion of this roaster (about four or five of us who went and checked it out) and one of attendees mentioned this, I guess I just forgot that there's visibility into the roaster through the door. I dug out the spec sheet which has more details. I've been posting updates from the show in the morning when I wake up before going out, so I haven't had that much of a chance to catch up yet.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ira
Team HB

#40: Post by ira »

According to someone in the booth, the drum is induction heated and a fan blows air over the coils and outside of the drum to heat the air which then travels through the drum and into the chaff collector.

It will run on a 15 amp 117 circuit and in theory it should have about 50 to 60% more effective heat element than a Behmor which can barely do 1lb. The display model did not seem to have a power cord, or at least in my cursory glance I didn't see it, so I assumed the electronics were powered by the connected USB cable.

The people in the booth were very upbeat about it as if it really was going to ship in the near future and unlike the Invergo, it looked like a finished product. No clue if it worked or could be made to work.

Ira