Adding Robusta?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

If someone adds Robusta beans to their espresso blend does it make a "better" taste?
The reason I asked is when I was in Portugal they used Robusta in with their arabica beans and it has been the best espresso I ever tried.
Thoughts?
Can they help bring out the flavour if blended in smaller amounts with arabica?

Thanks

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

CoffeeRoastersClub

#2: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Robusta will generally add more volume of crema and give the espresso a bit of a bite. That has been my experience. Rule of thumb is to add no more than 15% robusta beans. Generally keep around 10%. I have been using some Java Robusta with decent luck.

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

Advertisement
Ellejaycafe

#3: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Maybe try adding some monsooned malabar if you like the robusta component? I found the malabar is way more consistent and still adds that extra crema and extra "punch." Robusta adds quite a bit more caffeine to your blend.
LMWDP #544

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter replying to Ellejaycafe »

Well, now I KNOW I've got to shoot by your cafe spot. My lovely little MCAL shots are very nice, not not exactly crema bombs...nor designed to be.
Hope to see you soon, William.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

If you use Robusta, roast it separately ... Roasted Robusta keeps a long time in a valve bag; it's better after three weeks, when the petroleum aromas are gone; and it's better roasted slow and well into the second crack. You can roast a batch and use it for blending 5 to to 10 batches over the next few months.

BTW, I'm not a fan of it in most straight espresso (whiskey and cigar blends excepted); but I love it in cappas. It adds some low toned muscle to the taste, and it makes the latter art pop.
Jim Schulman

CoffeeRoastersClub

#6: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub replying to another_jim »

Jim, I am going to try that. Question: How much into second crack would you suggest? Full City+? Vienna? Darker? And the timing you would suggest to get to that level? I can program it into my PID for my fluid bed roaster and your input would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

vze26m98

#7: Post by vze26m98 »

Caffe Terzi in Bologna, run by a former colleague of Illy's, will offer you a 100% robusta espresso, an SO of India AA washed, not the monsooned.

Torrefazione Cannaregio in Venice has a robusta blend that roasted slowly, but quite blond in character, again using a washed Indian AA.

Italian blends such as Vicere or Caffe del Faro, which are available here in the US, can often hit 50% robusta, and are quite good IMHO.

Paradise has been selling some very nice high-end robustas from Latin America as greens.

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

CoffeeRoastersClub wrote: ... Question: How much into second crack would you suggest? Full City+? Vienna? Darker?
I usually go to where it starts rolling. As the later post said, there are consistent high end Robustas from India and Uganda, and occasional great lots from Indonesia; and they may have different optimal roast levels. I roast by smell, and I like roasting any Robusta beyond the rubbery aromatics to where the smell gets sweeter and more cocoa-like.
Jim Schulman

CoffeeRoastersClub

#9: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Thanks Jim. Sounds like a Vienna roast. Its been awhile since I did a rolling 2nd, and with my fluid bed I have come to totally rely on bean mass temp. Thanks for the info. I have Java Robusta beans.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub

#10: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

another_jim wrote:I usually go to where it starts rolling. As the later post said, there are consistent high end Robustas from India and Uganda, and occasional great lots from Indonesia; and they may have different optimal roast levels. I roast by smell, and I like roasting any Robusta beyond the rubbery aromatics to where the smell gets sweeter and more cocoa-like.
One last question, Jim. I have been drinking Lungos recently, pulling 4 oz through 20 grams in my Gaggia Baby. I have been using 10% robusta in my blends; do you do around that for the blends you use for your cappos? Or a higher percentage possibly?

Len