Accelerating coffee aging

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#1: Post by spressomon »

Thought I'd ask this in here...

So, I'm traveling around and found myself out of my favorite beans. I picked up a couple pounds of Tigerlily by Beansmith in Omaha NE the same day they were roasted. Normally I would ask/look at the roast date but the owner & I got to jawing over espresso...and well you probably understand :).

So I ground several cups worth of the beans and let it rest on the counter for 15-minutes and although it opened up a little it got me to wondering what the roasting experts say: Can a freshly roasted bean, with a couple days in between, be rest accelerated by grinding and leaving to air to get it close to what the whole bean would undergo at say 7-10 days?
No Espresso = Depresso

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Yes but it's not an exact science. good luck.

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I believe you need to account for oxidation of the ground coffee, as well. You're just talking about de-gassing. But when oxygen comes into contact with the grinds, that's another variable you need to think about.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

It works in a pinch, but it's not ideal.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

danetrainer

#5: Post by danetrainer »

I agree with the oxidation problem...why not try pre-grind, then vacuum seal in a small mason jar to remove all the air?
I would take 4 sample jars and open them at different times to try.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

You could also try those Oxygen Absorber packets to help get rid of the oxygen after you grind or one of those wine preserver sprays that displaces the oxygen in the bottle.

You won't void all the oxygen in a mason jar with a vacuum, you'll just reduce the oxygen pressure.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dustin360

#7: Post by dustin360 »

No, according to Emma Bladyka ground coffee out gases at a little over twice the pace of whole bean. Not to mention it's not just outgassing that ages coffee.

TheJavaCup77

#8: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Grinding it will expose more surface area.. Obviously it degasses 2x faster (thanks Dustin360) but how fast does it oxidize and is there any better method for removing oxygen in it's entirety?

I think you can get a vacuum sealer and vac it in a ziploc (but i think it will burst due to the degas)

Or maybe we could get it to degas faster using other methods...that doesnt accelarate anything else but degassing?
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Perfect coffee, which was acquired earlier in the year by Blue Bottle was doing just this. Grinding coffee with an EK 43 and vacuuming it in pouches. I was a beta tester and it was amazing how long the coffee would stay fresh in the pouch.

Of course there aim was to prevent aging not accelerate it. The pouches didn't puff up they may have left the coffee degas a bit before vac sealing them.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TheJavaCup77

#10: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Yakster, I think they're going to change peoples minds about pre-ground coffee...

And i heard they create pre-determined recipes in certain brewers... so you could follow the recipe and brew it the exact same way they want you to... IIRC

On second thought, with their preservation technologies that successfully keep pre-ground fresh.. :o

And the fact that it's ground on an EK43... :shock:

It's going to be pretty darn good if not phenomenal..

The only way to get EK43 grind quality at home was to GET ONE, and if you got pre-ground coffee coming from an EK43 it's going to be stale.. which creates a double whammy.. but since they manage to preserve the freshness they have solved the problem..

Can't wait.. maybe i should pre-grind a sample and vacuum seal it to and taste test it against a freshly ground sample?

Now who has a vacuum sealer?? :twisted:
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.