About to buy Huky 500, need some advice

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hipporun

#1: Post by hipporun »

1. I'm assuming I should go with the 301 Thermometer for dual input.
2. Is the exhaust hood required? If I do roast indoors, it will be in my kitchen with the fan above my oven running
3. Says extra probe (met) How many does the base Huky come with? And can 301 thermometer run a third temp probe?
4. And last, stock drum or solid? I've seen a number of guys on the forums going with solid; what's the advantage?

kellzey

#2: Post by kellzey »

The 301 is just a USB interface to read the thermocouple probes and connect with software like Artisan. It is only 2 channels or 2 probes.

You need a 309 if you want more than 2 channels.

The huky comes with digital bean temp BT and external temp ET probes standard. I.e., 2 digital probes or 2 channels. The 301 can handle this.

The MET option is for a third probe for maximum external temp MET. For this you would need a way to read more than 2 probes and the 301 isn't ideal

If you roast indoors, get the exhaust fan option or else you may have a lot of extra smoke. It's cheap.

Perforated or solid drum... depends on personal preferences and roasting style and desired end result. Either can be successful.

summer

#3: Post by summer »

Do a search on this site - lots of reading gives you a lot of answers.

One example:
Huky 500 option list

I use perforated drum, low speed motor, analog ET, digital BT and MET, and Amprobe TMD-56.
And I use the build-in air regulator in the chimney - I got noise in my digital probes when I tried a cheap fan speed controller.

edtbjon

#4: Post by edtbjon »

I've just ordered a Huky which is about to ship right now (I hope...).
First, what experience do you have with roasting? That would make it easier to grasp your needs.

1: I ordered the Center 301 with dual input, but I did also order the extra MET probe. (As said before there is plenty of info on this site about TC (Thermocouple) positions on the Huky. I will probably not use that MET probe for a while, but it's much easier (and cheap) to have it installed in mr. Li's workshop. To clarify: I was specific in my order to have the BeanTemp (BT), the EnviromentalTemp (ET) and the MET probes all electronic. I.e. without the analogue ET thermometer.
I'm pretty sure that I will have enough parameters to cope with for quite some time, hence the choice of the Center 301, which will give me the important data (BT and ET). What happens outside the drum may be interesting, but I'm not sure what to do with that data yet. At that time, I can order a Phidget or similar and pipe all the data into a laptop from there...

2: I hope that you have a very strong kitchen fan. There will indeed be smoke, somewhat like a BBQ. The amount of smoke increases the further into the roast you come. Having the fan just sucking the smoke out of the drum will spread the smoke all over the place, this at a time when the roast accelerates and you really need to concentrate on what is happening inside the drum. You don't need anything to distract or irritate you at that moment. So, at least having the exhaust hood and some duct leading the smoke into the kitchen fan is a good idea. (I will duct the smoke out the window...)
Btw, see to that you specifically order the "extended J pipe". (It's in the pictures from mr. Li, but it seems to me that you have to be specific about it anyhow...) Also, order the an extra bean tray and fan for cooling the beans. That takes away a lot of stress when you end the roast. Just lift the lever instead of rebuilding a very hot machine...

3: see 1...

4: I ordered solid. Many orders both for experimentation, as they are quite cheap, compared to the total (still low) cost. But I think that I will have to learn the behaviour of one type of drum in the Huky, which will take quite some time. Switching drum type will not solve any problems I may have in finding a good roast profile. If you read up on the threads on the Huky, you'll probably find there isn't that much of a difference. One thing that comes to mind is that chaff will fall out of the holes in the perforated drum, down on the stove area. (Mr. Li provides a collection tray with his own IR burner.)
User "Kfir", have used both and have reported extensively on his experiences. Part of the decision making lies in your selected heat source. (Which is???)

Feel free to post your order here before sending it. There are many Huky users around who may chime in. Again, give us a bit more on your previous experiences in coffee roasting and the level of advice will be better too.

hipporun (original poster)

#5: Post by hipporun (original poster) »

Thanks

kellzey

#6: Post by kellzey »

Yes

edtbjon

#7: Post by edtbjon »

What you want is a setup like the one in the top picture in the first message of this thread. Huky 500 data logging setup and modification.
The important thing to tell mr. Li about is that you want an electronic TC int the ET position. (As I mentioned before, the MET is nice to have, but the "least" important of the three in the top picture.)

hipporun (original poster)

#8: Post by hipporun (original poster) »

Sorry but can you elaborate on what "you want an electronic TC int the ET position." Means?

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

You might be interested in this Boot review:

kellzey

#10: Post by kellzey »

hipporun wrote:Sorry but can you elaborate on what "you want an electronic TC int the ET position." Means?
Electronic thermocouple (TC) in the ET probe position (versus an analog dial).