2014 World Coffee Roasting Competition profiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast

#1: Post by farmroast »

Here are the practice round profiles all using the same coffee this year. World Roasting profiles
there will be more to come as the event continues
Event Site

the RoR scale is C per 30sec.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Any idea what the batch sizes used are?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

fu11c17y

#3: Post by fu11c17y »

farmroast wrote:Here are the practice round profiles all using the same coffee this year. World Roasting profiles
there will be more to come as the event continues
Event Site

the RoR scale is C per 30sec.

FC temps are all over the map. They are using the same bean arent they? How does a Giesen work? What could contribute to this?

Batch size?
Air flow?
RoR hitting FC?
Drying duration?

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#4: Post by cimarronEric »

fu11c17y wrote:FC temps are all over the map. They are using the same bean arent they? How does a Giesen work? What could contribute to this?

Batch size?
Air flow?
RoR hitting FC?
Drying duration?
Any number of variations of batch size, charge temp, heat setting(s), fan setting(s)
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

endlesscycles

#5: Post by endlesscycles »

fu11c17y wrote:FC temps are all over the map. They are using the same bean arent they? How does a Giesen work? What could contribute to this?

Poor thermocouple placement, most likely.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

farmroast (original poster)

#6: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote:Poor thermocouple placement, most likely.
+1

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

Not to be the voice of dissent, but I highly doubt it's improper thermocouple placement. I'd be surprised to hear that they're not standardized in location by Geisen before even being outputted to Cropster. And it wouldn't look good on either company to have data points broadcasted across the globe that were total garbage. I think they'd ensure some level of basic standardization and function prior to letting the worlds best roasters get their hands on it.

There W6 along with (I think) their entire larger batch line allows for modulations of air pressure as well as temp, airflow, etc, etc. I saw one girls profile where it was clear she wanted to cover a vast range of profiles, since all three were wildly different in terms of speed and end of roast. I think these are just the roasters finding out what amount of heat the beans can take and how they develop, more than anything else.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

the_trystero

#8: Post by the_trystero »

TomC wrote: I think these are just the roasters finding out what amount of heat the beans can take and how they develop, more than anything else.
That was my first and only thought.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

farmroast (original poster)

#9: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

here are the finals profiles and winners announced today. Click on the "download profile" for more data. Can clearly see where contamination effects the BT readings at points

Clean BT readings is still an issue that imo hasn't been dealt with enough with many commercial roasters. Actually something I'm now working on. We've been pretty serious about improving monitoring for about 5 years now the pros have only been working with the refined RoR and more use of clarity for 2 years.

endlesscycles

#10: Post by endlesscycles »

TomC wrote:Not to be the voice of dissent, but I highly doubt it's improper thermocouple placement.
Have you seen where Giesen puts their TC? It's way up high next to the trier where it's reading all sorts of things other than BT. Late turning points (more than a minute) and low 1C numbers (below 200C) are clear evidence of poor placement. Roasters who take temp seriously drill and tap as stock TC placements are rarely ideal.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC