2014 HB Home Roasting Competition Discussion Thread - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#41: Post by Almico »

hankua wrote:Alan; if that's the same bean from Royal NY, our local GCBC distributer has some and you can get small quantities. I can get you in touch with him, or you could register for the site.
Thanks...yes, I work about 10 minutes from RoyalNY's South Plainfield warehouse. I'm going Friday to pick up a bag of Colombian Santa Barbara.

I think I am registered with GCBC. I'll check it out. Royal wants $19/#, but I don't need 77#s!

farmroast

#42: Post by farmroast »

SM mentioned that 2 ethiopians have landed but waiting for them to be cleared before they can pick them up.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#43: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

There was an order placed at Roastmasters for 40 pounds of the El Centro yesterday. This will cut into the amount I reserved for the competition. Please PM or email me if you have NOTordered the El centro for the espresso competition, so they can know how much to hold.

And if one of you ordered the 40 pounds -- I admire your enthusiasm, but how about holding up a bit until we're done :P
Jim Schulman

Team HB

#44: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Looks like almost everyone who is intending to compete in the espresso section has ordered their greens. Last call before I let Roastmasters clear the set aside.
Jim Schulman

fu11c17y

#45: Post by fu11c17y »

Thanks Jim for doing this for us. But 40lb, could that be from Highwire? Glad I got my stash a month back and was able to nail it down to one or two candidate profiles.

Speaking of profiles, do you guys roast differently for SO espresso as you would for pourovers? I'm not experienced as an SO espresso drinker. More into dark espresso with milk and sugar (and light roast on pourover of course). From cupping perspective I dont know what's good and what's bad for SO espresso. So I've been cupping mine on a pourover. Is that going to steer me to a wrong path?

Team HB

#46: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

I'm glad I'm just judging, not competing. I've had some superb roasts from the El Centro, and I've had some baking soda roasts; and I'm not sure how they were different.
Jim Schulman

rama

#47: Post by rama »

18 days remaining. Either people are being secretive about their for brew coffee source (to which they have a right to), or we're all in the same boat and haven't found anything noteworthy.

Almico

#48: Post by Almico replying to rama »

I was over to visit the nice folks at RoyalNY yesterday and picked up a couple of bags:

Right now I'm sipping a Brazilian Cerrado/Colombian Santa Barbara Supremo blend. It's excellent. But not ready for prime time yet.

danetrainer

#49: Post by danetrainer »

another_jim wrote:I'm glad I'm just judging, not competing. I've had some superb roasts from the El Centro, and I've had some baking soda roasts; and I'm not sure how they were different.
This certainly is a finicky coffee to roast, received it last week and ran it in the roaster between an Ethiopian Kemgin & a Kenyan that I will be using for the brew competition. Both the Kemgin and Kenyan were spot on, and despite my best efforts the El Centro came out with the "baking soda" finish. Just performed another roast of it and I hope it will be worth submitting, we will see when I cup it tomorrow.

Team HB

#50: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Just a reminder. All brew entries must be in by Monday May 12, and both I and Henry need to get entries. Espresso entries are also due by then, but there's a two grace window, since I won't be tasting until Thursday.
Jim Schulman