2014 HB Home Roasting Competition Discussion Thread - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast

#31: Post by farmroast »

Klatch has a Kenyan peaberry in their new arrival listings
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Boldjava

#32: Post by Boldjava »

rama wrote:Is it me, or is there a serious drought of good coffee for brew right now?
I was at the broker's warehouse on Wed. Very, very few of the Centrals have hit the docks. The Ethiopians I was to sample are still on the water, as are the Yemens and new Congo. The Kenyans have just started to trickle in.
-----
LMWDP #339

rama

#33: Post by rama »

farmroast wrote:Klatch has a Kenyan peaberry in their new arrival listings
That looks to be the same bean used in the Roast and Learn February, so has been around since at least January.

rama

#34: Post by rama »

Boldjava wrote:I was at the broker's warehouse on Wed. Very, very few of the Centrals have hit the docks. The Ethiopians I was to sample are still on the water, as are the Yemens and new Congo. The Kenyans have just started to trickle in.
The few Guatemalans Sweet Marias has right now are uninspiring. Hopefully just the early crop, and not an indicator of the season?

Any idea where those Kenyans are headed? We still have a few weeks. :D

Boldjava

#35: Post by Boldjava »

Cupping two new ones /Kenyans/ next Saturday. Twin Cities at Cafe Imports.

Guats uninspiring?...early in the crop year.
-----
LMWDP #339

bean2friends

#36: Post by bean2friends »

rama wrote:The few Guatemalans Sweet Marias has right now are uninspiring. Hopefully just the early crop, and not an indicator of the season?
:D
What is it about those Guats that you find uninspiring? The descriptions, the scores, something else?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#37: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

rama wrote:Is it me, or is there a serious drought of good coffee for brew right now?
Haven't run into anything flat out brilliant as yet this year. The Kenya Gaturiri from Roastmasters is 90ish, although some may not enjoy its clove bottom end. George Howell's may be the same lot, his description of the fruit as "plummy" is certainly right for my lot. The CR El Centro Black Honey won the last roast competition, but I think its better as espresso (although I might well be screwing up the brewing roasts -- it may need a longer than usual first crack to finish run)
Jim Schulman

farmroast

#38: Post by farmroast »

Roastmasters just listed Colombia Granja La Esperanza Bourbon Honey ordered some over the weekend to try.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Almico

#39: Post by Almico »

Anyone want to split a 35kg bag of Columbia Granja La Esperanza Gesha? 10 ways!??

hankua
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by hankua »

Alan; if that's the same bean from Royal NY, our local GCBC distributer has some and you can get small quantities. I can get you in touch with him, or you could register for the site.