2013 HB Homeroasters Competition - discussion thread

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.

Do you prefer a roasting competition with only a few coffee choices or many?

Poll ended at September 4th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Few
87%
Many
13%

Total votes: 30

another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

Sorry for the move from spring to fall; better late than never.

The early feedback I've been getting in off-line conversations is that the competition has become too open; and that people would prefer using a limited selection and zeroing in on the best possible roast, rather than trying out a lot of different coffees. Speak up on this; if it turns out that this is not the consensus, we can change it around.

If this approach holds up, I figured we should go with just one brewing coffee that does well at all roast levels; and for the espresso, the classic third wave blend of one central and one pulp natural Brazil, also with coffees capable of taking a large range of roast levels. Again speak up on this.

For this format, the folks at Sweet Maria's recommend the Kenya Nyeri Gaturiri AB as the brew entry. It will be posted in the next few days. For the espresso, they recommend the Guatemala Antigua Finca Retena, and the Brazil (Carmo de Minas) Fazenda Sao Benedito Pulp Natural.

If everything pans out, entrants can start ordering the coffees next week, and should have them in for judging by the end of September or early Octopber. The judging will be in the first or second week of October. As usual, Henry Chang and I will store the entries in freezers; Henry for brew, me for espresso.

Judges to be announced shortly.
Jim Schulman

tamarian

#2: Post by tamarian »

I think using Sweet Maria for the competition rules out many international entries, due to new policy limiting their shipping to a few countries compared to old shopping cart. Are there alternatives?

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava replying to tamarian »

We could have a partner in the States who would be willing to ship to Saudi Arabia or wherever. I for one would be glad to be paired up with an international partner to whom I would ship her/his greens.

PS. Beans can't be shipped to Brazil or Philippines. Might be other countries as well but those are two I have checked on when distributing greens.
-----
LMWDP #339

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Thanks Dave. As you see, we can work out the international shipping.
Jim Schulman

tamarian

#5: Post by tamarian »

Boldjava wrote:We could have a partner in the States who would be willing to ship to Saudi Arabia or wherever. I for one would be glad to be paired up with an international partner to whom I would ship her/his greens.

PS. Beans can't be shipped to Brazil or Philippines. Might be other countries as well but those are two I have checked on when distributing greens.
This is so cool Dave! Much appreciated. I've never had any customs/shipping problems (to Saudi Arabia) and have received shipments from SM, CBC, GCBC, HR, Invalsa, TCP and maybe a few more I can't remember.

farmroast

#6: Post by farmroast »

Like the possibility of this being a world wide event. Also like limiting the coffees. Less interesting for those judging but still should be interesting enough. Like Tom found when several folks sent the same coffee a couple years ago and the one roast still stood out over the others.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

rama

#7: Post by rama »

I enjoyed the previous years' blending challenge, and while the logistics could be intimidating, found it to be a rewarding and educational experience I wouldn't normally undertake without the encouragement from the competition.

If the judges and organizers are game, my vote would be do both a designated single bean contest (as detailed already) as well as a blending challenge from 1 or more designated beans. Contestants can choose to do one or both.

Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava »

farmroast wrote:... Also like limiting the coffees. Less interesting for those judging but still should be interesting enough. Like Tom found when several folks sent the same coffee a couple years ago and the one roast still stood out over the others.
Four of us did this with a Guat last year from Cafe Imports. We each roasted it on our own set-ups:
* RK Drum
* SC/TO
* Gene Cafe and
* Self-designed shop roaster

All were good but each cup had its own distinctiveness.
-----
LMWDP #339

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

I like everything about the brewing portion this year. The espresso portion, still leaves a lot of intangibles that make judging difficult that don't entirely reflect the roast i.e. shot temp, brew ratios, pressure profiles etc. It's not insurmountable, but it would be accurate to assume that profiling a shot to its best ability on one home unit will not translate equivocally to another.

I got to be present at the last brewing judging, which was done obviously blindly, and Henry and I remained completely silent until after the initial scores were already down (it was an open selection, so his Gedeo Worka and my Gesha weren't hard to find in the bunch, even blindly). But the point I'm making is, they judged the coffees using only one brew method, it's not like they profiled the brew, they cupped them. It's more of a objective metric. I can blunder any espresso roast, by not optimizing the extraction parameters quite easily. Unless we just assume and accept that it's part of the process and accept it?

* I'll add, just for clarity sake, neither Henry or I actually scored any, we were just graciously allowed to help set up and taste all the coffees. After they had their decisions made, we discussed the coffees and what we liked and what we didn't. Having a single coffee to choose from, will really make it a roasting competition (which I like) not just a "who sourced the most amazing coffee" competition.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

endlesscycles

#10: Post by endlesscycles »

I love the idea of a single option for all entrants. I find it difficult to play favorites when there is a great Ethiopia, Kenya, or Colombia each on the table. Several roasts of the same coffee can be an illuminating experience for the judges, as well as a nice field leveler for the competitors.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC