1K Drum Roaster vs 1lb Roaster ????

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by hankua »

It's awesome there's so many choices for the ultimate drum roasting upgrade!

What's your opinion on 1K vs 1lb ?????

Here are some of the current available choices:

Huky500, Super 1LB'r, Santoker R500, HB-M5 600g, Cube500/750, Feima Mini500/800n, CoffeePER SF1, USRC 1lb, North TJ-0676/Jyr-1DA, Cafemino TKMSX 1G/TKMSX 1E, Amazon DL-A721-S, Diedrich IR1. etc.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

There's also a new one coming on the market, domestic and a few steps up the build quality ladder than the asian units (likely on par with Diedrich) out of Florida. Roaster Authority is making a 1K version of their Victory 2.

http://www.roasterauthority.com
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cygnusx1

#3: Post by cygnusx1 »

I think at my price point, I'm leaning very heavily toward the Huky (unless I could be persuaded otherwise). I think it has plenty to offer in it's price range. And Mr. Li is able to communicate very well with you in regards to any questions and is receptive to mods. As a matter of fact, I think I'm to the point of ordering one this week.

tamarian

#4: Post by tamarian »

Would be great if we can have a master list for all the 1lb/1kg roasters with their info and links. Lots of new ones coming out!

hankua (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by hankua (original poster) »

Many of the 1lb roasters can handle 500-600g vs the 1K machine assuming it can roast to full capacity. Minimum capacity for normal operation is usually around @ 50% so 250g-500g, a important consideration also. If your roasting 8oz samples from distributors the 1lb machine makes sense, but running full capacity for a few hours would make one wish for the 1K size.

If the Chinese 1K roaster comes in at a similar price to the 1lb machine; what factors would you consider?

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

hankua wrote:If the Chinese 1K roaster comes in at a similar price to the 1lb machine; what factors would you consider?
That's something I just went through, TWICE.

The usual:
  • Capacity;
  • Heat source, i.e., gas or electric;
  • Adequacy across every performance parameter;
  • Ease in installing real-time plotting capability; and
  • Price.
To my chagrin I also learned that it was worth a fair amount of extra change for a roaster which:
  • Has been around for a while;
  • Is well reviewed;
  • To the extent that it has issues, they are well understood as are any workarounds necessary to make the roaster function as it should;
  • Not require me to be first;
  • Not require me to blaze my own trial through importation and shipping;
  • Look and acts like a roaster, not a collection of kludges;
  • Has an adequate sized user base composed of more than two or three users who are willing to offer some degree of knowledgeable advise -- in other words, good non-factory support;
  • Is made by a company which understands roasting;
  • Has strong, post-sale factory support, including advice in English;
  • When the factory support or advice sought is verbal, it is available by telephone during normal business hours;
  • When the support is verbal, it comes in the form of (relatively) fluent English; and
  • Is built to a high standard of commercial quality.

Twenty years ago I was involved in an accident serious enough to total my highly-tweaked BMW 2002. I considered replacing it with a bottom-of-the-line Volvo wagon (plaid plastic upholstery, zero to sixty in eventually). But when the salesman told me it was the only rational choice, I realized that the only reason I would ever buy a Volvo was irrational fear.

Understand that after my recent experiences with the Amazon DL-A721-S -- a good roaster, just not the good roaster I want -- I'm more than a little gun shy, am aware that my additional criteria put paid to almost any Chinese roaster, and am not saying you should be as twitchy as me.

If you're seriously considering getting a big deal roaster for home use, my best advice is: Get what you REALLY want. Saving a few bucks is an evanescent success.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

JK

#7: Post by JK »

I agree with much of that BDL said but $2,000 is not a few bucks :)

My thinking with the China Roaster is its all there and complete..
Many folks build roaster from the ground up and this is a huge head start on that..
I'm a retired metal worker so for me I only worry about the electrical issues..

My one concern with TJ-067 Gas model is the Docs posted here it says it has a infrared gas controller but pics I was sent shows an open gas burners..
I'm hoping there is manufacturers names and model numbers on all the parts or a parts list included in case I ever need to replace anything..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

_OlTimer

#8: Post by _OlTimer »

While I agree that $2000 is no small amount, each has to make their own decisions regarding what service, support, quality, convenience and confidence are worth. I'm not a machinist or metal worker, so I'm lost with a machine I can't get support for.

I'm also an advocate of the "buy the best and only cry once" school. What was the logical choice for me is not the same for others. The good news is that these exchanges evoke discussion that is helpful to the whole roasting community.

I'm very appreciative of the contributions of all who post here. Not all that long ago, I thought green beans were something you served with ham hocks!

cygnusx1

#9: Post by cygnusx1 »

I'm very appreciative of the contributions of all who post here. Not all that long ago, I thought green beans were something you served with ham hocks!
Me too. This is why I don't mind the 'upgrading' process because I'm learning as I go forward. I might not 'know' I 'need' a certain option yet. As a novice, I've learned quite a bit from this forum in the last six months, especially about roasters and the mechanics of roasting. I've been whirly-pop roasting and have been waiting for the time to jump to the next level.

I appreciate what Hank said to begin with that there are so many great choices. I guess it would need to be broke down into catagories based on what you get in a roaster (product and service wise) for it's particular price point. In other words, how much value for your money. For instance, roasters priced <$1000, $1000-$1500, $1500-$2500, etc. Personally that would help me the most. My price point is in the $1000-$1500 range. I can't, at my present level, imagine spending much more. If you woud have asked me a year ago if I would have spent even $100 on a roaster, I would have laughed that off.

boar_d_laze

#10: Post by boar_d_laze »

cygnusx1 wrote:My price point is in the $1000-$1500 range.
$1000 - $1500 roaster only, or inclusive? The cost of things you might not yet realize you ABSOFRICKINGLUTELY NEED adds up.

You can roast some seriously good coffee in roasters which sell in that range. If you're serious about purchasing in the near future, you probably already know the obvious choices. If not:
  • HotTop;
  • Huky 500; and
  • Quest M3
There's quite a bit of experience concerning the decision making process as it applies to upgrading roasters here at H-B. Try to bear in mind though, that whatever choices we made we made for our own reasons and may not be best for you.

You need to talk a little more about what you want: Minimum charge capacity, ability to batch roast, electric or gas, where it will live, the importance of real-time two event plotting, those sorts of things. If there are specific reasons why the roasters on my little list won't suit -- talk about them.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator