You can never have too many Super Jollys

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fluke

#1: Post by fluke »

"well, you can never have too many Super Jollys..." says Sebastian at Great Infusions the other day, as I head out to pick up some craigslist/storage locker specials.

What I found was a pair of very beat-up, abused machines that sat forlornly on the sidewalk, and barely turned on. Actually the SJ was stuck, and just pathetically hummed, unable to free its burrs from years of neglect. What the hell, I negotiated a price, and took them home. Pulled the dosers off, and managed to free the Mazzer from its nasty torment by soaking it upside down in a hot descaler solution for an hour, and then sticking it into a vice upside down. The Rossi was in better shape, but still in need of some serious cleaning. Having the dosers completely pulled apart I was pleasantly surprised to find that the attachment & removal screws were much simpler to access then my old Pavoni Zip. The doser assy on the Mazzer particularly was quite simple, and I only really had problems removing the clear plastic - requiring lots of soaking, patience and incremental movement before it finally slipped free. I may remount the RR45 doser, but the SJ is being converted to doserless chute.

Here's what they looked like after I cleaned them up.

Advertisement
fluke (original poster)

#2: Post by fluke (original poster) »

Getting the SJ burr assy unstuck took about an hour. I had a bucket of hot descaler from dealing with the Expobar, so I sat the Mazzer upside down in a bucket, soaking just shy of the bearing assy. Left it there for about 30 minutes, stuck it in a vice, and got a little movement - soaked it again, and got it free finally.

Looked alright after cleaning around the lower burr carrier (in-situ) as much as possible, but it's always good to see what's underneath... three m4 30mm bolts did the trick. I think 30mm is the min length you need, they were bottomed out, and the carrier needed to be worked off the shaft.

\

fluke (original poster)

#3: Post by fluke (original poster) »

Cleaning off the burrs (they look a little worse than they really are, the acid bath sets up a bit of a reaction) - although I'm ordering new ones for both grinders.

fluke (original poster)

#4: Post by fluke (original poster) »

Stripping the SJ down to bare metal. The paint stripper I had laying around was the 3m Safest Stripper a non-toxic version that was probably well over 10 years old - it certainly wasn't the aggressive aircraft paint stripper I last used - and after letting it dry to a thick goopy coat, it appeared to have almost no effect. So I came back to it after a day or two, and scraped off the caked-on stripper, intending on applying some normal toxic (but quite effective) stripper - when I found that it had actually softened the top enamel sufficiently to allow it to be scraped off. There appeared to be about 2 under-coats, but once I got it scraped down, a orbital sander with some 140 grit was able to clean it up nicely.

fluke (original poster)

#5: Post by fluke (original poster) »

At this point I started to appreciate the form of the Mazzer.

fluke (original poster)

#6: Post by fluke (original poster) »

starting to fabricate the back plate for the doserless conversion out of 22g. steel:

fluke (original poster)

#7: Post by fluke (original poster) »

Came up with a simple stepless conversion for the RR45 using some random bits from one of the dirtbikes.

Advertisement
Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

Why soak a grinder in descaler? Simple Green or OxyClean or similar degreaser would be indicated.
I should add that the formed back plate for the doserless conversion looks particularly well done.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Nice job! I've cleaned up a number of those old Mazzers that were pretty ugly & gummed up. Hot Cafiza solution was my favorite for getting the coffee gunk off but what ever works.
LMWDP 267

beer&mathematics

#10: Post by beer&mathematics »

Well done!
LMWDP #431