Yet another DIY grinder timer (<$100) - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

Redpig: Great MODs for that grinder! The timer could apply to several grinders in that power range. You did a good job but you seem to question the usage of electrical tape so why not try heat shrink tubing? I use that stuff on most of my electrical projects.

I believe that in another Thread you (or was it you?) showed that cutdown hopper which is a thing of beauty. Did you notice any bean feed issues with the shorter hopper?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

endlesscycles

#12: Post by endlesscycles »

Also at Auber is this ready to go timer: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=298
Pretty sweet.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by FotonDrv »

Marshall: Nice timer! Thanks for Posting it.

redpig (original poster)

#14: Post by redpig (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote:Also at Auber is this ready to go timer: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=298
Pretty sweet.
Whoa! I guess I should've asked Auber if they were making one!
/me hides his grinder timer in shame
FotonDrv wrote:Redpig: Great MODs for that grinder! The timer could apply to several grinders in that power range. You did a good job but you seem to question the usage of electrical tape so why not try heat shrink tubing? I use that stuff on most of my electrical projects.
Thanks! I forgot to order the heat shrink tubing, and I was impatient :) I ended up layering the tape anywhere there was a contact so that there'd be no adhesive directly on it, which is similar to the heat shrink tubing ... kinda.
FotonDrv wrote: I believe that in another Thread you (or was it you?) showed that cutdown hopper which is a thing of beauty. Did you notice any bean feed issues with the shorter hopper?
Yup - no problems at all that I can tell. When compared to single-dosing, I have to back off the dial a bit, and I didn't have to change it after I cut it down. Of course, I didn't keep the hopper full, or even half full, most of the time, so the impact was negligible.

If you look at the finger-guard/bean-column-guard on these hoppers, they are cylinder higher up but provide a feeding ring. Experimentally this is what I found:
1. Fill the GIANT hopper completely
2. Use it some
3. Watch the central bean column empty faster than the rest of the hopper
4. For the remainder of the hoppper fill, see a bean column height that is maximum where the top of the holes in the guard are

Maybe this was just a fluke since I only tried it once (A LOT OF BEANS), but to me this meant that it was safe to cut at the bottom-height of the guard without limiting the max bean column. In retrospect, I would've cut a few mm higher because it'd be nice to have more than _exactly_ a 12oz bag's worth of space in there :) Beans properly slide into the hole and they seem to maintain the expected pressure. When I notice it is about to be throat-only, I put more beans in -- if not the grind becomes more like single-dosing which requires different settings.
LMWDP #411

redpig (original poster)

#15: Post by redpig (original poster) »

So it looks like they added a new timer model:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=290

that does dual time. If you want the smaller enclosure I went with, I suspect you could still cram all the bits in. I ended up with a three way switch on the back for on-off-timer, and there is probably _just_ enough space for a button or instantantious three way (single-nothing-double).

Maybe I'll upgrade the timer part sometime in the future! Thanks for pointing this out!
LMWDP #411

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by FotonDrv »

redpig wrote:Yup - no problems at all that I can tell. When compared to single-dosing, I have to back off the dial a bit, and I didn't have to change it after I cut it down. Of course, I didn't keep the hopper full, or even half full, most of the time, so the impact was negligible.

In retrospect, I would've cut a few mm higher because it'd be nice to have more than _exactly_ a 12oz bag's worth of space in there :) Beans properly slide into the hole and they seem to maintain the expected pressure. When I notice it is about to be throat-only, I put more beans in -- if not the grind becomes more like single-dosing which requires different settings.
Thanks for the update on the timer and the hopper MOD. I noticed something similar with the Mazzer hoppers. They draw from the center primarily and then everything else falls into the conical hole of beans. The 12oz capability is a good idea as people downsize and charge more money. Remember when all wine came in 1qt bottles? The they changed to 750ml and charged more because it was a bigger number. AD MEN :evil: