Yang Chia/Feima 600N

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chang00

#1: Post by chang00 »

There have been relatively few discussions in English regarding this entry level grinder from Taiwan. There have been discussions on grinders of this style however:

On the Fuji Royal:
Fuji Royal R-220
Fuji Royal R-220

On the Kalita Nice Cut:
Kalita Nice Cut Mill

Kalita Next G:
Kalita Next G

The Costco in Taiwan carries the Yang Chia/Feima 600N. There are several versions and colors of this grinder, with cutting and ghost teeth burrs; typical of Costco, it is available as long as it is black. The ghost teeth burrs can be purchased separately from other vendors. For approximately USD$80, I picked one up at the Taichung Costco and figured if it is not good, I can always return it in the US with Costco's generous return policy.

The grinder is 110V and uses about 150W.

Over the years, I think the manufacturer improved on the burrs and the spring, so the burr wander may have been improved.

I'll be using this grinder over the next weeks and post updates prn.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Look forward to reading more about it. The more I stare at these, the more I think they're a better version of a Bunn/Bunnzilla. Pretty well laid out design in a more compact package.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SlowRain

#3: Post by SlowRain »

I have the burgundy one, but haven't used it in years since I switched to hand grinders. It's a good, simple little grinder--but fugly--and should last a very long time.

EDChris

#4: Post by EDChris »

I see this all over the place in unsolicited emails from alibaba-esque chinese suppliers asking us to list them (or different grinders in the same casing). Good to know they're quasi-legit at least

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

There are at least two manufacturers in Taiwan making a similar-looking grinder, both reputable. I know there are some from China, but I don't know about their quality so can't comment.

Headala

#6: Post by Headala »

Your photos are very nice!

I bought and used one about 10 years ago when I lived in mainland China. Was "Imported from Taiwan" lol. I hope this is not the same, as the grind consistency was awful and the grinds came out very warm. So warm that my coworker commented, "It's just preheating the beans for us!" :lol:

Feiji

#7: Post by Feiji »

I have the exact same grinder from Taichung Costco. Let me know what you think. I use it mostly for occasional drip brew. I tried it once on my Expobar but not consistent enough for espresso. My trip back to Taichung this summer I am thinking about picking up the ghost teeth burrs.

SlowRain

#8: Post by SlowRain »

Headala wrote:I bought and used one about 10 years ago when I lived in mainland China. Was "Imported from Taiwan" lol. I hope this is not the same, as the grind consistency was awful and the grinds came out very warm. So warm that my coworker commented, "It's just preheating the beans for us!" :lol:
Someone in Hong Kong did a test several years ago about the temperature of the grinds and found that the grinders from mainland China heated up the grinds much higher than the 600N did. Are you certain it was made in Taiwan? You put quotation marks around your statement.

Headala

#9: Post by Headala replying to SlowRain »

I bought it in a coffee supply store in mainland. I put it in quotes because, 1) you can never be sure anything comes from where it says, and 2) it was humorous because they don't recognize Taiwan except when it allows them to sell something as "imported" for more money. It's entirely possible it was a knockoff. In the end I brought in my own Baratza Virtuoso and used it happily with a converter for many years.

leftism

#10: Post by leftism »

I've seen copies of this grinder on aliexpress for as little as 60$ including shipping. I'm searching for a grinder for brew coffee and this grinder seems to be good for that. Does anyone have experience with the replicas sold on aliexpress? Do they warm up grinds as mentioned earlier in this post or have they managed to fix that?