Working with my new La Cimbali Max Hybrid - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#21: Post by cannonfodder »

I have never made Turkish coffee, but my Max (there are two different grinders a Cimbali Max and the Cimbali Jr with the hybrid Max burrs, size of the case is the only difference I have found) will produce powder. More along the lines of powdered sugar/flour.
Dave Stephens

owlbass

#22: Post by owlbass »

I was serious contemplating moving up to the Max-hybrid, but I have few questions first. Does one still have to WDT? something I feel that I must do with my mazzer mini, and I have to say that is say is one thing I despise in my routine. And is there a significant upgrade in grind quality from the mazzer mini? also meaning would i do better with a machine upgrade or is the max the way to go. Thanks
Owen

zin1953 (original poster)

#23: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

owlbass wrote:I was serious contemplating moving up to the Max-hybrid, but I have few questions first. Does one still have to WDT? something I feel that I must do with my mazzer mini, and I have to say that is say is one thing I despise in my routine.
I don't have to.
owlbass wrote:And is there a significant upgrade in grind quality from the mazzer mini? also meaning would i do better with a machine upgrade or is the max the way to go.
Uh, Owen -- have you not been reading my posts so far?!?!?! :wink:

In case this wasn't clear, let me say it again . . .
zin1953 wrote:I'm still impressed amazed at just how much difference the Cimbali Max Hybrid makes to the shot quality. I mean, obviously I thought it would; why else would I have purchased a new grinder? But I'm surprised at just how big a difference it is . . .

. . . the flavor profile across the board -- from 1 to 5 -- is superior to what I was getting from the Mazzer. Also, the grinds are much fluffier and there is much less static with this new grinder than with either the Mini Mazzer or the Quick Mill, and the doser sweeps much cleaner than the Mazzer as well.
Hope that helps . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

owlbass

#24: Post by owlbass »

Thank you Jason. I did read your post but was just hoping to get the opinions of a few others before I buy an $800 grinder. the budget of a student doesn't call for much, these days, with the way tuition is going.
Owen

Cafesp

#25: Post by Cafesp »

owlbass wrote:Thank you Jason. I did read your post but was just hoping to get the opinions of a few others before I buy...
Owen
You can't go wrong with it! Conical&Flat burr is the one you go for when buying a grinder to grow with it, like All Wheel Drive when buying a car.

Even compare with its same class grinder but doserless Versalab M3, IMHO, CMH produces better grind quality, fluffier, way.. way less static, (so less coffee flying everywhere in the room).
As being said in my previous post:
Same machine, same roast, same room, same class Conical&Flat burr grinder but different in doser style! (full or less) :? (CMH or M3) :? ; I can taste the difference in my cup.(YMMV)

Cafesp
Love is in the air, Taste it!

DigMe

#26: Post by DigMe »

I've heard talk of Jim and others who change coffees several times a day not liking it because it's not good for that. Why is that? Is it hard to add just a couple of scoops of beans at a time for some reason?

brad

#27: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

No, not really. If you add enough coffee only for ONE shot (single or double), it may "popcorn" a bit, but I really haven't had that problem.

Cheers,
Jason

orwa

#28: Post by orwa »

Hello!

I noticed that there is a bit of misconception regarding the Turkish grind. For example, one of the writers on the internet who has reviewed the KitchenAid Pro Line praised it as the "perfect Turkish grinder". I admit that if the Pro Line was good for Turkish, then it's good for something, added to this its looks, lesser statics and other nice features, but I know that it cannot produce such a grind. The Turkish grind was (and is still sometimes) produced using crushing-based mechanical methods that produce utter powder (something like coffee dust), identical to the feel of flour and powdered sugar. I doubt that the Max Hybrid can produce such a grind, I mean the grind could contain a considerable amount of powder, but would still have a gritty feeling. I do not drink Turkish coffee much myself, I love espresso, but those who do like my mom and grandmother will never be satisfied by such a less-than-optimal grind (which happens frequently when the roastery's grinders' burrs are worn, or maybe when they aren't calibrated for a true zero, and hence they cannot produce such a powdery grind). Interestingly enough, there are a lot of grinders that are made in Syria, usually imitating the Italian/German/Swiss designs (one of them is called bitting and is identical in the looks to the ditting). These grinders use funny toy-like cast burrs that are never good for anything, but still can (somehow) produce the Turkish powdery grind preferred by the Arabic population. These grinders are almost exclusively used for Turkish in different roasteries in the Arabic countries.

I hope that someone can make a video of one bottomless pour of the Max Hybrid grind, I am pretty interested in the grinder myself. However, to be honest I have doubts about the conical part, being only there to arbitrarily smash the beans prior to feeding them into the DRM burrs (supported by the popcorning observations). People often describe the grind resultant of such grinding method to be fluffy, which often incorporates a moderate amounts of unseen powder, that eventually results in a better body, though more astringency in taste. One of the manifestations of this however is earlier blonding, which goes against what is described here, which is exactly why I would love to see a bottomless pour.

Marshall

#29: Post by Marshall »

orwa wrote:I hope that someone can make a video of one bottomless pour of the Max Hybrid grind, I am pretty interested in the grinder myself. However, to be honest I have doubts about the conical part, being only there to arbitrarily smash the beans prior to feeding them into the DRM burrs (supported by the popcorning observations). People often describe the grind resultant of such grinding method to be fluffy, which often incorporates a moderate amounts of unseen powder, that eventually results in a better body, though more astringency in taste. One of the manifestations of this however is earlier blonding, which goes against what is described here, which is exactly why I would love to see a bottomless pour.
"Arbitrarily" would mean the designers chose the conical phase randomly, such as by throwing darts at a list of alternatives. I am informed that the La Cimbali engineers put a bit more effort into their designs. :D Versalab went with the same design, which I also know was not "arbitrary."

At the very least, the design allows the machine to produce a top commercial-quality grind, while fitting under a normal kitchen or bar cabinet. (Try doing that with a Robur).

After more than two months of use, I can say with confidence that trading a Mazzer Mini for the Max made the single greatest improvement to my espresso in the last 5 years, including upgrading from a Silvia to a Zaffiro, installing a PID and upgrading from a Rocky to a Mini.

Looking at pictures of pours won't tell you much. It's easy to pull a beautiful shot that tastes mediocre. This is an extraordinary grinder.
Marshall
Los Angeles

#30: Post by zin1953 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:After more than two months of use, I can say with confidence that trading a Mazzer Mini for the Max made the single greatest improvement to my equipment in the last 5 years, including upgrading from a Silvia to a Zaffiro, installing a PID and upgrading from a Rocky to a Mini.
I second the motion, Your Honor, only that in my case, I upgraded from a Coffee Gaggia to a La Valentina and the grinder STILL made a bigger difference to the quality of my shots!!!

Cheers,
Jason