Working on lumpy uneven mazzer mini doserless grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
stinkyonion

#1: Post by stinkyonion »

So everytime grinds are made with mazzer mini doserless grinder they come out lumpy, and the back of the basket always blonds and spritzes while front of basket still looks like molasses. WDT doesnt have much of an effect. Also, there is always a gram of grinds in chute behind static guard that you cant get out. Would have to shake grinder output in jar and then into basket to fix the distribution problem. But I want even grind distribution directly from the grinder. So today I am experimenting.

Just to verify that it is the grinder, I rotated the tamped basket 180 degrees and made a shot. Yup, it is now the front of the basket that spritzes. Others have said that doserless grinders puts the fines in the back of the portafilter, and it does look finer to naked eye, but it seems it would be coarser if indeed the flow was greater. Maybe it is not the fineness at all, but rather a density change, dunno.

So, I hypothesized that the collection funnel was letting some grinds fall more readily straight down while other types of grinds bounced more from the chute and wound up more in the front of the basket. As a possible fix, I tried installing a small cardboard bump halfway down the funnel so nothing could drop straight down, everything had to bounce at least once. Watched the pour after, more even distribution but still flow preference for back of basket. Shot tasted better though, no question. I then tried moving this bump up and down inside the funnel, but it didnt make any further improvement. No change in lumpiness either.

Then, I figured the act of tumbling down the funnel was causing clumping as well as sorting of the particles. To reduce this I tilted the whole machine forward by elevating rear legs 3 inches. Bam. Clumps reduced by 50% by this simple manouver. Nice fluffy grinds in the basket with fewer clumps. More even portafilter flow. But...now some beans retained in the collar above grind chamber because of front half of collar not sloped enough. I made a piece of cardboard to correct this, works great and sits in its spot to keep beens of the front of collar perfectly. But now I know, the act of falling in the funnel creates many of the clumps.

Next, I decided to remove the static guard to further reduce clumps. I have read that this will cause uncontrollable static of exiting grinds. Anyway, I removed the chrome collection funnel with a 3/16 socket. The static guard is permanently attached to the collection funnel. Ran a shot. Wow. Now I know what the "static guard" is for--it is to give back pressure to the exiting grinds, otherwise they come out like a shotgun (likely increasing static but I couldnt tell the difference). There was no noticeable static. Corrected the shotgun grind exit by making a cylinder that encouraged the grinds to fall straight down (while the grinder is still tilted forward). First out of a dixie cup (too short), then paper cardboard roll.

Rare lump. Comes out *almost* like the K10 video. Now slight favoritism of flow to right of basket, but no difference between front and back. No question flow and taste is markedly improved from stock. I presume the burrs shoots the grinds unevenly into the collection tube accounting for the current slight favoritism of flow to the right. Will hold the basket up higher for less mess and take another picture after work.

Interestingly, the new paper-towel-cardboard-roll-made-into-a-collection-funnel had no grinds stick to it whatsoever. The chute which is now tilted forward (so much steeper) and without a static guard also retains no grinds whatsoever. The collar above grind chamber retains no beans. The grinder is still very rear heavy and is not about to fall forward, believe me.

What to try next? All I am trying to do is get even portafilter flow. I know grinding into a jar and shaking, then pouring into basket will fix the uneven flow problem, but I want an even grind distribution from the grinder without this step. I it may look somewhat ridiculous, but I have a full shop many pros would dream about and can make any modification look awesome, once I know what the modification should be.

So far, 3 hours and a half pound of black cat down the drain.

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Im curious.

It looks like your single dosing? Adding beasn to the grinder per shot, yes?

Have you tried using the hopper at least 1/3 full? The Mazzer-E grinders, to be used as intended, need a hopper and some beans. Any doserless/timed grinder needs beans in the hopper.

I would give it a try, filling up the hopper a bit, and grinding some beans through until the grind path is full, chute fully packed with coffee. Probably two double shots worth should do it.

NOW, attempt to grind directly into the portafilter, and see how it goes. Keep in mind, only the BEST grinders allow you to grind into the portafilter and do NOTHING to the coffee afterwards except tamping, and get an acceptable shot. The Mini, even when used as "intended", with a hopper of beans and a full grind path, is going to require you to move the portafilter under the funnel to aid even distribution, as well as a stockfleth style move or similar before tamping.

My opinion, single dosing the Mini, because of the funnel and the way it throws grinds into the basket, is going to require a thorough WDT. FULL mixing of the grinds in the basket before tamping.

But im interested to see your results after trying with a semi-loaded hopper. at least 1/3 of the way full.

sprint jinx

#3: Post by sprint jinx »

Here's what I would do, because I did it and it works.

Get a narrow plastic funnel and then cut its bottom off. The diameter of the bottom needs to snug fit into the small diameter opening on the inside of the mazzer, right around the axle nut you see when you look down into it. My funnel came from home depot, its made for gasoline, fits snug. That will eliminate any beans from scuttling around in the larger diameter collar, below where your tamper plugs into in your photo.
This will allow you to toss your dose into it easily, and every last bit goes right into the burrs. To keep beans from popping up, I drop a shot glass into the funnel on top of the dose. Grind times are less than 10 secs.

Next, control the output. I used copper pipe and some putty. What I wanted was access to the inside of the chute, so I can sweep it out with a brush. Also at HD, in plumbing, cheap. Note that mine was a doser, so I hand made a back plate to cover the motor.

I too jacked up the rear of my mazzer, with a block of wood. It shoots the grounds out into a small bowl that I hold to catch it. I sweep and then transfer that to the basket, with the help of - wait for it, a funnel (OE). I guess I like funnels. I consistently retrieve 0.1g less than I put in, I guess I am feeding the gods. I sometime use WDT, and a slap to the table top to even it out. Tamp/pull/repeat.

stinkyonion (original poster)

#4: Post by stinkyonion (original poster) »

I think I will try tilting the grinder left or right, and if still no success then rotating cardboard tube left or right. If none of that gets rid of the right sided flow preference, then will add rotating platform for basket http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Silver-C ... ng+display

OttoMatic

#5: Post by OttoMatic »

Interesting thread. I have precisely the same problems with the Mini-E. Keep going!

sprint jinx

#6: Post by sprint jinx »

If all you are looking for is a way to even out the grinds as they go into your basket, then here is another solution.
Block the funnel's lower opening with say, a rubber plug, a cork or foam chunk. Then, grind your pre-weighted dose. Then, pull out the plug and have the grinds drop into your basket all at once.

allon

#7: Post by allon »

sprint jinx wrote: Block the funnel's lower opening with say, a rubber plug, a cork or foam chunk. Then, grind your pre-weighted dose. Then, pull out the plug and have the grinds drop into your basket all at once.
Nice theory except for the part where the grinds stick to the plug because of static. Or stick to the sides of the funnel. Then you have to whack things to get them moving. Not to mention trying to remove the plug without getting grinds all over the place, keeping clearance between the funnel and basket.

Simplify. Learn to dose with minimal fuss.
Sometimes a small mod to the equipment will help. It should not result in a major addition of fuss though.
LMWDP #331

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

sprint jinx wrote:If all you are looking for is a way to even out the grinds as they go into your basket, then here is another solution. Block the funnel's lower opening with say, a rubber plug, a cork or foam chunk. Then, grind your pre-weighted dose. Then, pull out the plug and have the grinds drop into your basket all at once.
...and voila! You have invented the grinder doser! :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

stinkyonion (original poster)

#9: Post by stinkyonion (original poster) »

Here is what I have figured out so far:

Lumps: Two causes. First, the static guard causes back pressure and makes the coffee fall out in lumps. Second, the funnel makes any coffee not already in a lump roll up into a lump as it rolls towards the outlet (think of snow falling onto a roof and rolling down and falling off roof in balls). Only way to get rid of the lumps is tilt grinder forward and remove the funnel with static guard.

Uneven basket flow: The funnel does not evenly distribute the particles causing preferential blonding towards rear of basket. This is because the coffee particles bounce/roll differently as they fall onto bottom slope of funnel before exiting hole to the portafilter; this sorts them either towards rear or front of basket. If you tilt the grinder forwards, so the coffee falls directly to the funnel hole without significant tumbling this greatly reduces the problem.

Static: There is increased static if you remove the static funnel with static guard. Once the funnel is removed, you will need a tube to direct the grinds away from grinder towards portafilter. Thin cardboard works pretty well for this. Clear plastic tube is horrible because of static. Rubber tube is tolerable. Will try stainless steel tube as soon as finish cutting it. Best diameter of tube is 1" (same as funnel exit hole) . Smaller tubes clog and larger tubes have uneven blonding from left to right in basket. Havent tried RDT yet to reduce static.

Grinds retention: Best way to reduce grinds retention is to remove the funnel with static guard. Then, static makes the coffee with time coat the exit chute and whatever tube you are using to direct coffee to portafilter. The tube has to be removeable so can be cleaned periodically and allow access to the chute. Very steep forward tilt of grinder greatly reduces accumulation in chute.

caryet

#10: Post by caryet »

Wow..... I just had to chime in. I am not doubting anything that anyone has said with regards to their problems with static, clumping etc., because I'm sure it's happening and it's quite annoying.

Yet, I am puzzled because I also have a mini-E type A and have not experienced any of these problems to any significant degree. If I get any clumping, it is minimal at best and so far static has been negligible. The only mention of beans being used was Black Cat, which is medium roast. I pretty much use medium roasts from paradise, counter culture, klatch, etc. and the grinds fall consistently fluffy and pretty much static free from the funnel... leaving distribution in the basket a fairly easy affair. I haven't altered anything. Hopper is in place. I keep things clean and free of old stale grinds. No more no less.

So, lets assume all mazzer mini-e's are created equal.... yet some people experience bad static problems etc. from their machines and others do not. It seems that maybe there are external factors at work creating the problem. Different beans maybe, or different locations (CA vs FL) ....humidity affect on static. A grinder's proximity to static causing variables in the kitchen maybe. I don't know for sure, but I believe it is something external vs internal causing these problems.

I sure wouldn't want to spend $8-$900 on what I consider a well engineered grinder only to have to tear it apart and attach a cardboard tube or copper pipe and plumbers putty to it to make it function. No bashing intended.... I just think things should work as intended if they are designed well, and I think the mini-e is.

I hope you solve the problem with minimal fuss.
Cary