Why Red Speed burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Prairiedawg

#1: Post by Prairiedawg »

I'm trying to understand the fascination with the TiN coated burrs. If I understand correctly, new burrs need to break in. This means they need the surface to wear a bit before they start producing the best particle size/distribution for espresso. This is widely accepted. The titanium coating effectively prevents wear from occurring. This is why its used on drill bits and milling cutters. It's to prevent the cutting surface from dulling. They're supposed to last through the next mass extinction and grind through 10,000 lbs of coffee. If all this is correct then shouldnt the lack of proper break in then cause the coated burrs to produce an inferior grind? If it makes a superior grind then shouldn't the opposite be true- The best your grinder will work is with brand new non coated burrs? Just wondering out load.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Wacobipe »

the TiN coating is a layer deposited up on top of the sharpened burrs (or drill bit, or milling cutter, etc...). Because this layer has a thickness, it has the effect of rounding the sharp cutting edge of the cutting tooth. This is all microscopic, but a TiN coated cutter is not as sharp as the uncoated counterpart. It is, however, more resistant to heat damage of the cutter (not an issue when grinding coffee beans), has a slicker surface to reduce friction and heat build-up, and is more durable.

This would all stand true for grinder burrs, so it may have the effect of rounding the very sharp cutting edge just like break-in does...but I suspect it is not identical in it's effects.

pcrussell50

#3: Post by pcrussell50 »

I have the TiN burrs on my 2014 HG-One, and I can categorically state that the number of cranks it takes to grind 17g of full city roast or lighter, is has gone down by 30% over the last two years. Some kind of break-in has clearly occurred. Oh, I did run two lbs of minute rice through it when it was new. Side note: Makes some tasty hot cereal with milk and cinnamon and sugar after it's been ground.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I believe that burrs are not inferior before break-in, just inconsistent until they settle in making it harder to dial in and keep dialded in for repeatable results.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

Similar to stropping a sharp knife edge...
No Espresso = Depresso

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv replying to spressomon »

+1
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Shife

#7: Post by Shife »

RedSpeed is not TiN. It is TiAIN and Compak is fond of this coating. There is also TiCN, which the EG-1 burrs were originally spec'd as.

These surface treatments generally increase surface hardness and extend wear life. Any other properties regarding coffee grinding are currently speculative at best. I'm sure there is some data available, but it's not currently available for public review.

See this sheet for reference: http://www.tsune.co.jp/english/pdf/hss_ ... nt1502.pdf

lhs1859

#8: Post by lhs1859 »

Hello friend.

red speed coating spec:

Material: Aluminum-titanium nitride, AlTiCN (stacked)
Microhardness HV 0.05: 3,300 ± 300
Coefficient of friction against steel 100Cr6: 0.7
Layer thickness [?m] : 2 - 4 [1]
Maximum application temperature: 800° C / 1470 ° F
Color: Anthracite
General characteristic: High hardness, high oxidation stability, low heat conduction coefficient
Preferred applications: Processing of hardened steel; high-performance process, lubricated (KSS), semi-dry (MMS) or dry processing; Cutting oprations under in-service conditions, where other layers reach the limit of the thermal and mechanical stability

Actually red speed burrs are coated by Italy company, but the coating machine is come from german company.
how can I know?
Now i am working with that company.
Thanks.

day

#9: Post by day »

That's pretty cool. Congrats. Unfortunately none of you data was relevant...
I have understood break in too be about bites and inconsistencies breaking off/smoothing out. It seems that coatings would make that process much harder of that is what it is. I have never heard break in being described as dulling burrs, sloping would be similar imo but still quite different. Nonetheless I have always assumed they would have to season them prior to coating and that would be built into the price.when I met Doug at scaa he told me about a process he was pursuing to improve breakin, maybe the biggest burr manufacturers have methods way better than minute rice if they choose to put in the time.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

lhs1859

#10: Post by lhs1859 »

I am not sure I fully understand your question. (I am not good at English)
Are you talking about burr's 'seasoning period'??
especially at Coated- burrs?

In my case, my company manufacturing insert made with Tunsten-Caride.
Normally before we do coating to our products, we do cleaning and sand-blast treatment for better quality.

That means, if the compak does the samething as we do, red speed burr does not need to be seasoned.

but compak says 'red speed burr need to seasoning period'. ->> this is not normal, really.

That means They want save cost (no sand blast treatment)

this is my company process
cnc->cleaning->blushing->sanding->cleaning -> coating.-> (somtimes sanding again for better quality)

we never said 'our products need seasoning period.' if some tool need that period in my filed, that is inferior goods.

hopefully this can be helpful for you.
Hard to explain all about technical point in English.