Why do dosers produce more even extractions?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

So, I've talked about this in some other unrelated threads.. I bought a Mazzer Major from 2000 a few months ago and modded it with a SJ funnel. I used the funnel for about a month, but I always noticed that my extractions never tasted all that great and sometimes had a few squirts and minor (sometime major) channeling. I started looking at several parameters, but until recently I overlooked the grinder. Yesterday I experimented with and without the doser. I tended to get full body, even extractions from the doser. With the doserless, it wasn't thin.. but not as viscous as the shot from the doser. I'm thinking it might have something to do with fines.. I made my own antistatic screen with a few paper clips and got no clumps or static.. the grinds feel around the same. Maybe fines aren't as evenly dispersed throughout the puck with chute?

I will say, retention is much lower with the doser... which is one of the reasons I will never go back to that chute. I wasted nearly 5lbs of coffee experimenting with different distribution methods all to find out it was my doserless mod.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I've been a doserless skeptic for a long time. I think there's a few things that have come out of the years of discussion
  1. The thwacking of a doser grinder removes the clumps and distirbutes the fines. After using a doser, you can be very casual about distributing and tamping
  2. Grinders designed from the ground up to not require dosers tend to be nearly as forgiving as doser grinders
  3. Grinders that use the same exit chute for doser and doserless models (or after home conversions) tend to have problems with distribution. These are the prime WDT grinders
My guess is if you WDT your doserless grinds, they will pull as well or better.
Jim Schulman

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Ahh, In all honesty.. it's more convenient for me to thwack the doser rather than worry about stirring the grinds when I'm in a hurry.