What's going on with Mahlkonig Pro-M production?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mike01

#1: Post by mike01 »

I just purchased a Pro-M grinder from another member here. While I know this grinder has had its share of documented problems, I know there are others that are very happy with it. My main reasons for purchasing were I was looking for something doserless that is slightly smaller than my current Super Jolly. I was impressed by the fluffiness of the grinds from the Pro-M. Anyways, what is going on with current Pro-M production? Of the US retailers of this grinder I looked at, nobody has it in stock. Will this affect the availability of parts? Also, how is Mahlkonig customer service in dealing with? Will they sell parts directly or do you need to ship the grinder in for repairs? I am very comfortable in repairing appliances, so I have no doubt I could fix most of what could go wrong with it. Thanks.

angman

#2: Post by angman »

The last time I looked I believe the pro-m has been discontinued. Don't know how this will affect parts availability

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by dpiette »

Hi Mike,

I just sent a note to the Mahlkoning service folks trying to get a new grounds chute (I will post that travail in a separate thread) this morning.

I will let you know the response I receive.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

When I last spoke with Mahlkonig's people (at the April 2014 SCAA Expo), I was told they were temporarily suspending production, while they worked out QC problems with the machine's electronics supplier. I never had a problem getting parts or repairs from their California service center.
Marshall
Los Angeles

contraflow88
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by contraflow88 »

If you need parts Mahlkonig USA is more than helpful, anything you need for it they will supply. I have dealt with them recently and have nothing but good things to say in regards to their help with this grinder.

mike01 (original poster)

#6: Post by mike01 (original poster) »

Based on the research I've done looking at various retailers, it appears that the ProM has been discontinued from the US market. I'm not sure why this is and if this is permanent or not, but it does not appear to be discontinued elsewhere. There are multiple retailers in Canada and Europe that list this grinder in stock. While other have reported issues with this grinder, it seems these should be able to be worked out with a little more engineering. The overall ease of use, combined with grind quality, packaged into a much more kitchen friendly footprint than most commercial grinders seems to be a great combination. So far, I am very happy with mine and would love to see these issues worked out and the grinder returned to the US market. If anybody has more info to share on this, I'd love to hear.