What to expect in upgrade from Mazzer Super Jolly to Mahlkonig K30 Vario

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ellejaycafe

#1: Post by Ellejaycafe »

So I just bought a k30 after having a super jolly. I know a lot of people here have the k30 so I'm wondering what differences I should expect when dialing in my shots. I am running this with an Aurelia 3 group and use the volumetric for consistency.

I have read that the k30 blondes earlier than a lot of grinders and offered a taste vastly different from the super jolly.

My recipe with the super jolly for reference:
21 grams in
34-35 grams out (1.65 ratio)
30-34 seconds
LMWDP #544

Ellejaycafe (original poster)

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Alright so I've had the grinder for a day and ran 170 double shots thru it this morning (using barista mode to season so I can keep track of the numbers) and these are my first impressions compared to the mazzer super jolly

I definitely like the look a lot more, not important really... But aesthetics matter.

It's insanely fast and almost silent compared to the SJ.

The menu is very intuitive and way more involved and I like that a lot. My only complain is it should go to the 20th of a second.... I would really like to see the k30 have that. The little extra control considering how fast it is would be nice but hasn't been a problem yet.

It's also WAY easier to take apart and clean. And that's a huge plus!

It's far superior in adjusting the grind. It's so easy and seems to have more give than the SJ. A nudge on the SJ would be a matter of 5-7 seconds sometimes! I don't miss that. My grinder is calibrated so that a setting of 4-5 seems to be my range for espresso. So LOTS of room to play with

Where it really matters though is in the cup. It's very very consistent. My pours have looked better than ever. With the SJ it was hard sometimes to get the pour to start across the bottom on the PF. It would start in the back most of the times. I attribute that to way better particle distribution on the k30 and fluffier grinds.

The espresso has never tasted better either. Using the same recipe the flavors are a lot more rounded, the nuttiness is amplified, and the dark chocolate covered cherry finish is smoother than ever. Overall it's a little sweeter and a lot more depth of flavor. Just what you want! This isn't just placebo affect either. I have been using the same espresso blend (10% monsoon 10% Sumatra 40% Brazil cerrado 40% Costa Rican tarrazu) for 2.5 years and know it like the back of my hand. This just goes to show that the grinder makes all the difference in the world really.

I'm very satisfied with the k30 vario and imagine I will be for a very long time.

My only two complaints would be that the timed dosing should go to the 20th of a second. And that it's a little messier than the SJ (which has to do with the grinds being less clumpy and fluffier and the fact that I'm dosing 21 grams). This is just being picky though. Thanks to everyone here who gave me advice on my upgrade and happy spro! And thanks for everyone here for being so inviting to a "technically" non home barista. I'm the only barista and person in my shop so this community has helped me out a lot over the years. I just started posting and the acceptance has been great. So thank you.

Here's the new k30 next to my 2010 Aurelia. It looks a lot better next to it than the SJ did as well.

LMWDP #544

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by uscfroadie »

The K30 is messier? That's a first. My guess is that you are heavily updosing, and addressing the neatness is easy to do. When grinding, stop the grind by pulling the portafilter away from the micro-switch, tap the portafilter to settle the grounds, push it back in to resume grinding for the remainder of the setting. In other words, pull it out around the 2 second mark, tap the portafilter to settle the grounds, and re-insert to finish up the remainder of the grinding (~1.7 seconds).

Hope this helps, and hope you continue to enjoy your new grinder. I love mine.
Merle

#4: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I've been doing and stated that it's because I'm dosing 21 grams.... I am dosing 21 grams in a 21 gram triple from EPNW. The grinds are just so damn fluffy that they come up way high in the basket. When tamped down there's plenty of headroom. 21 grams seems like a lot but I am using 1.65 ratio and it's what works best for my blend. It makes a very thick and syrupy shot that's plenty sweet with tons of chocolate and nuttiness. It's very much a classic blend.... Most of my customers are milk based drinkers. So I really need something that holds up to milk or water for americanos.
LMWDP #544

LukeFlynn

#5: Post by LukeFlynn »

Another way to stop that is by using Matt Perger's distribution by tapping method and tap while the grinder is running.

As seen here https://youtu.be/JgRufU-0cO4?t=1303

#6: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

LukeFlynn wrote:Another way to stop that is by using Matt Perger's distribution by tapping method and tap while the grinder is running.

As seen here https://youtu.be/JgRufU-0cO4?t=1303
I do like above and pause the grinder and tap once half way though. And also use his method of tapping for distribution. I love it.

The messiness was just an observation and easily fixed. And probably very dependent on my recipe because I've read that it's generally not messy at all.
LMWDP #544

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn replying to Ellejaycafe »

I bet the tapping distribution is great with those fluffy grinds the K30 produces!

#8: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) replying to LukeFlynn »

It really is! Ever since reading that hustle my distribution has been pretty flawless and consistent. Probably the best tip on espresso I've ever gotten. I can't thank him enough for that one!
LMWDP #544

#9: Post by Ellejaycafe (original poster) »

Also messy is relative. I was comparing it to the super jolly... Which for me was a huge clump fest. So grinds had no chance of going anywhere.

This is after 10 doubles... Not really that messy in the scheme of things.

LMWDP #544

pumpkinscastle

#10: Post by pumpkinscastle »

Glad to see that you've discovered that there are indeed better grinders than the SJ. I'd love to have the K30 Vario in my kitchen to complement my conical grinder.