What to do with my grinders?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeclone

#1: Post by coffeeclone »

Here's the scoop: just ordered a mazzer mini type A for my espresso, which is replacing my rocky doser. I've been using my trusty old capresso infinity for drip/press coffee for about 6 years. Question is, do I now use my rocky for drip and use the infinity as a travel grinder, or keep the infinity as my drip grind/French press and just sell the rocky all together? I've never used my rocky for drip/French press and I'd like to get a little feedback on it before wasting too many beans experimenting.

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

The rocky will probably outperform the capresso. It won't take that many beans to dial things in, then do brews on each to compare.

turtle

#3: Post by turtle »

It is not going to be very convenient using a doser for pour over or press grinding

I would either move to something more appropriate or see if you can modify your Rocky to grind into some kind of catch that is easily removed to get your grind into your brewers.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has modified a doser to a bin catch.

I know that there is an aftermarket chute which might be a good starting point. Then all you would need to do is fabricate something to catch the grounds.

As far as dialing in to pour over or press. A couple whacks at different settings should get you there. Pour over and press are not as critical as espresso as far as grind size goes. "Close" is usually good enough. You can tweak to get longer or shorter pour times.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/4ZTQPF ... oved-chute

As far as a portable grinder goes. I use a CM-50 and a Beehouse whine I travel but any smaller hand grinder should be what you are looking at.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

russel

#4: Post by russel »

http://thebeanvagrant.com/2012/11/13/13 ... er-2012-2/

Give the Rocky a try at brew grinding and take a peak at this...
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

mauijer

#5: Post by mauijer »

I delegated my capresso grinder to an oatmeal or spices grinder (its not built for coffee anyway 8)

thecatch83

#6: Post by thecatch83 »

I use my Rocky for pour over/press set at 40 and it's perfect. Easy to clean, built like a rock and replacement burrs are abundant and cheap.