What happened to the Lyn Weber EG-1?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Simon345

#1: Post by Simon345 »

There was so much buzz about this grinder on HB a while back, but now not so much....

Just curious about what has happened since?

Is it as simple as the target market for the EG-1 was also the target market for the Monolith and the market chose a winner?

Any HB members bought an EG-1 lately?

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

Simon345 wrote:There was so much buzz about this grinder on HB a while back, but now not so much....

Just curious about what has happened since?

Is it as simple as the target market for the EG-1 was also the target market for the Monolith and the market chose a winner?

Any HB members bought an EG-1 lately?
I believe the answer is within your question. The Monolith, Conical or Flat, is manufactured in the USA with an incredibly high level of quality control, performance and at a lower price point than the EG-1. There are legions of HG-1 fans and then there are a few like me that found it mostly meh. That certainly influenced, along with the previously mentioned factors for going with a Monolith, my decision.
No Espresso = Depresso

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

Those HB users who have an EG-1 (including me) all seem to be intensely happy with it. I cannot imagine wanting to trade it for any other grinder on the market, even if price was no impediment.

Now for some wild speculation: Looking at the Monolith posts, there are a bunch of them trying to figure out when the grinders will become available for sale, and there seems to be less drama about that with respect to the EG-1. (It looks like you can simply add one to your cart at the moment, with no waitlist or special sale windows.) Another crop of Monolith posts have involved mods, and the EG-1 is marketed more to people who are willing to pay a premium for it to be fully ergonomic, for a wide variety of use cases, with no mods necessary. So to that extent, fewer posts may be a sign of the EG-1's strengths, rather than of any weaknesses.

But I think the biggest difference may be that the small group of us who were early adopters are simply a quieter crowd. We praised it on HB when we got it, we discussed a few issues like the impact of different speed settings, and then we just went on making really tasty espresso.
LMWDP #435

ShelbiRyan

#4: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I have absolutely no issues with my EG-1. I love this grinder. I use it everyday without a fuss, but I definitely don't post about it. The Monolith mega thread is mostly customers excited about their grinders on order. Which is understandable. In all honesty, if I was in the market for a conical, I would have chosen the Monolith. If I had to choose between the Monolith Flat or my EG-1...I would still choose the EG-1. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these grinders. Denis has done a fantastic job with all his products.

RyanP

#5: Post by RyanP »

Simon345 wrote: Is it as simple as the target market for the EG-1 was also the target market for the Monolith and the market chose a winner?
?
Not fair to say the market chose a winner. Seems both groups of users are very content customers. More likely, the market probably just chose the cheaper, USA hand made option between two grinders that perform on the same caliber. Also, the repeated buzz around monolith orders reopening and shipping creates new talk. As was mentioned above, though, you don't need to wait for the EG-1, which is a plus. But, you do need to be willing to pay hundreds more.

In regards to the comment above, mods are not necessary on the monolith, although I suppose there are some people who will always want to tinker no matter what.

ShelbiRyan wrote:IMO you can't go wrong with any of these grinders.
Truth. It'd prob be safest just to leave the thread at that :D

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

I've had my EG-1 for six months now. It is a fantastic grinder. I would not trade it for any other. As for Lyn Weber the company. They have always been very responsive for any ignorant question I have asked of them. I would buy this grinder again in a heartbeat.

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w »

Based on pricing, I'd say they are targeting slightly different markets and one market is bigger than the other.

CwD

#8: Post by CwD »

I really like mine, glad I went with it (though I'm sure I'd have been happy with a Monolith Flat too). I do wish there was a bit more discussion on it. Especially with these fascinating variables like burr speed.

What I'm really interested in is the Monolith Flat / EG-1 showdown going down on Socratic Coffee right now. Even though I'm sure it'll just be more impossible to make anything useful from graphs.

Coachiain

#9: Post by Coachiain »

I find the individually conducted grinder test a very convincing and reassuring part of a Kafatek grinder.
Another feature (a.k.a. excuse 8) ) that made Monolith Flat a winner in my book is the smaller footprint (16.5W, 20.6D, 35.5cm tall). The EG-1 at 23.5W, 31.8D, 46cm tall, exclusive of the control module, is a little too tight for my already limited counter space.

I'm also looking forward to the result of the particle distribution for EG-1 and MF.
Hurry up Joe and Jeremy. :wink:

zacho

#10: Post by zacho »

Socratic Coffee is doing a comparison between the EG-1 and the Monolith Flat! https://www.instagram.com/socraticcoffee/