What about a jig for Pharos grinder to hold it steady

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

I feel a bit nervous about starting a topic about my Pharos since I've had it for such a short time, but what I think I need for mine is a jig of some sort to hold it steady. My left hand and wrist are totally not up to the job, and although I can pull out a stool and put it in my lap, I've been thinking that having something bolted onto the counter top that would hold the Pharos in place so that I would not be fighting the less than adequate strength in one hand with the strength in the other one would be.....????

Has anyone worked on this angle? If so, please share. Today I am going to rummage through the vices and other holding devices to see what I can find, but any stuff you've already tried that has or has not worked would be good for me to know.

Thanks
Susan

allon

#2: Post by allon »

I hold it firmly against my knee with one hand and crank with the other, not on my lap.

It does take a firm grip though.
LMWDP #331

SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

I hold it firmly against my knee with one hand and crank with the other
While standing? I'm not quite sure I understand the ergonomics, but I'm willing to try anything. I really want this grinder to work for me.

Susan

Marshall_S

#4: Post by Marshall_S »

I found that using the custom counter pad made a big difference in keeping the grinder stationary and easier to turn.
LMWDP#384

allon

#5: Post by allon »

SJM wrote:While standing? I'm not quite sure I understand the ergonomics, but I'm willing to try anything. I really want this grinder to work for me.

Susan
While sitting.
LMWDP #331

SJM (original poster)

#6: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Marshall_S wrote:I found that using the custom counter pad made a big difference in keeping the grinder stationary and easier to turn.
Okay, don't laugh, but just this morning I went and pulled that counter pad out of my "box room" when I realized that just maybe it wasn't packing material.... .... Now you know what kind of a doofus you are talkin' to. I will try using it next time around....Thank you.

Susan

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

THANK YOU MARSHALL !!!!

Susan

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

I use the recycled rubber bottom pad as mentioned above and to keep the Pharos, on our slick countertop, from shifting around I use a tacky piece of dotted drawer liner/router table pad. A Silpat liner would also work very well...
No Espresso = Depresso

SJM (original poster)

#9: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Good idea. I will do that tomorrow to see if it makes it even easier.
I keep bits of that non-slip stuff in my kitchen drawer to help me get the tops of jars; I put it under the orange juicer so it doesn't spin out of control; I put it under the stand mixer when I haul it out onto the counter. I love that stuff !!!!

Susan

pechelman

#10: Post by pechelman »

another thing with the rubber pad

I permanently glued mine to the base of the grinder with some silicone adhesive that i had laying around from another project.

Now when you pick up the grinder, the pad goes with it so you dont always have to reposition the grinder in the pad.

i had to hack mine a good bit though to do this since I have a grounds catcher mod

another thing, is that I've found placing a towel in the palm of my hand and holding onto one of the 3 bushings between the top and middle plate, really makes grinding more comfortable. the towel provides some padding between the thin metal plates and my hand.

been thinking about finding some car door trim or something equivalent to make this padding integral to the grinder.