Welcome Back Mazzer Mini; G'bye Baratza Vario

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Martin

#1: Post by Martin »

Five years ago I was persuaded by comparisons favoring the Vario over the Mini. As I recall, the only reservation wasn't with Vario's performance, but questions about the long-term robustness of the lighter weight, plasticy build. For me, that verdict is in.

Looking at several relocations in smaller digs, I sold my La Spaziale, stored the Mini and purchased the Vario. Immediately liked the "new" features (like a timer, small size, quiet operation, less static, less grounds retention, and seemingly more precise adjustments, easier single-shot dosing, etc.) Very careful (and time-consuming) tuning-in produced shots that were maybe better on average than the Mini. However, that's a matter for more skilled cuppers.

After a year I had to replace the belt and do the recommended slider mod. PITA. Another year, and another slider fix. Last year or so, had to use a small wood shim to keep the hopper in place and not shut off the grinder. Rather than making still another slider fix, guitar picks slid under the slider adjustment worked sort-of OK. Frequent need to recalibrate with wrench tool.

Decided to pull out the Mini. Now I'm back to using it full time. Possibly, the added years of shot-pulling experience makes a difference, but I'm finding the shots equal to the Vario. Anything lost due to the Vario's "superior" grind seems to be made up in the consistency and surety of adjustments. Much prefer the direct mechanical grind adjustments, and I'm more likely to make accurate tweaks. Maybe new versions of Vario have addressed some problems? Maybe I'm due for a factory rebuild to current specs? Could be that the Vario still wins on points, especially under ideal, blind-cupping circumstances, and I might recommend it to a new purchaser along with lots of caveats. But for now, the Mini is my choice.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

Funny, my (very early) Vario is working spectacularly, and I have only ever added the shims to make the grind adjustment stick better. I have newer steel burrs on it, though, and I only use it for pourover these days.

For what it's worth, the Vario grinder has changed dramatically over the years (for the better). They have progressively improved the internals of the grinder to make them more reliable and long-wearing. In other words, a new Vario is not the same as your old one at all, and probably would address all of the issues you've mentioned. It's unfortunate that yours has experienced such troubles. I don't know if an old Vario could be rebuilt, but you could certainly sell your used one and purchase a newer version if you want the upgraded internals.

As for the Mini being the equal of the Vario, I haven't had that experience, but I haven't explored it very thoroughly. It may be due to your Vario being 5 years old, though... have you ever replaced the burrs on it? Are they still sharp and unscathed?
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
Martin (original poster)

#3: Post by Martin (original poster) »

shadowfax wrote: For what it's worth, the Vario grinder has changed dramatically over the years (for the better). They have progressively improved the internals of the grinder to make them more reliable and long-wearing.
I assumed that they would have addressed many of the problems. And mine is actually "capable" of grinding as new (original burrs seem to be in good shape.) Could be that I'd consider a new one if I were confident about its longevity-----would really feel foolish if a newer version developed a newer set of problems.

Besides, for the present there's something very satisfying about my doserless, timerless Mini, which, with some limited A-B comparisons, "seems" to do as well as the Vario. I'm not claiming that the Mini gives a better grind---just that in my real world, over time, on average my Mini shots are as good and do not reflect the substantial superiority as suggested by serious (and highly controlled) cupping reviews.

opother

#4: Post by opother »

What is it worth ?

What has changed dramatically over the years ?

What makes the newer Vario better ?

What internals have been progressively improved over the years to make them more reliable and longer wearing ?

Why isn't a new Vario the same as an old one at all ?

Does the Vario address all these mentioned issues ?

Can an old Vario be rebuilt ?

Some unconfirmed stuff I gleaned off the Web maybe someone can elaborate.

summer 2012 beefed up the plastic tabs that hold the top burr carrier in place, this makes more accurate shifting between espresso and filter/coarser grinds, overall improved accuracy and stability. I think this part is interchangeable with yours.

Made a burr removal tool to make it easier to get the top burr out (sells for $10 on their website).

2013 New faceplate with Micro line adjustement marking. Upgraded H2 Vario display prevents loss programming memory on stand-by,
a stand-by memory feature was added so programing is not lost when you unplug
improved control board (whatever that means), secondary calibration adjustment screw + Cool n' easy adjustment Tool! (don't know what this tool is)

There is also the Vario W with the scale

There are now new steel burrs available for coarser grinds

Vario-W isn't compatible with Vario parts. Take note portaholder fans The portaholder's extra weight throw will off the grinding dosage.

Inquiring minds want to know

shadowfax

#5: Post by shadowfax »

The newer Varios have a substantially different faceplate, with individually labeled settings on the grind (0-10 on the left slider, a-z on the right slider). The sliders have a different design for how they lock in place, and are considerably less prone to slipping out of place. Newer ones also have a much easier-to-adjust calibration screw for tweaking the grind range. As for the internal changes, I believe they have upgraded materials for a number of parts. I am not familiar with these details other than that they were in response to feedback from the Vario being put into service in coffee shops for pour-over and decaf espresso use. Someone else may be able to provide additional details, but if you want the most reliable answers I recommend contacting Baratza directly. They are very good about answering such questions, in my experience.
Nicholas Lundgaard

opother

#6: Post by opother »

Baratza customer service has always impressed me as well as the design of their products I am referring to their grinders.

They use good quality burrs and my old Maestro produced great tasting grinds for a couple of years (using it for espresso really pushed it to the edge)

To keep the price of an otherwise excellent home product from soaring into the realm of a full fledged commercial grinder some compromises have to be made.

Baratza grinders are clean, neat, compact, reliable enough, and make great grinds in their lifespan. I really like them but people keep trying to give the impression that they are equal in quality to full fledged commercial rated grinders and I have to take exception to this because with the exception of the Forte they are not.

The Forte has a price tag that reflects a commercial rated product. The materials, precision, and quality control that goes into a commercial product does not make much room for a low price.

chopinhauer

#7: Post by chopinhauer »

opother wrote:The Forte has a price tag that reflects a commercial rated product. The materials, precision, and quality control that goes into a commercial product does not make much room for a low price
I love it when I hear this when comparing the Forte with other products. Basically, all Mazzers are commercial products (eg. the Mini is often to be found in cafes as a decaf grinder). Similarly, with Macap grinders, excepting the little M2. All are commercial grinders built to commercial specs. The first readily available and decent domestic grinder was the Rancilio Rocky, a grinder that has been somewhat superceded by the competition (including Baratza/Mahlkonig).

To me, the Forte seems to be an improved (probably much improved) Vario: analogous grinding mechanism, but now made of metal instead of plastic. It is now a potentially great domestic grinder and maybe a second cafe grinder. If you want real commercial grinder specs Mahlkonig have lots of other grinders on offer. But remember the Vario, Preciso, and now Forte are really their domestic line and it is disengenuous for anyone to think (or for Baratza to advertise) otherwise.
LMWDP #027

Advertisement
truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen »

I hear you. Since I've gone to a commercial lever (dipper) full time and I'm the only one who uses it I prefer my K8 (Compak) over the Vario.

With the lever all I care about is fresh beans, consistency of grinds, and a tightness of grind that is close to perfect. Why close? Because there is a lot of forgiveness with a lever on the amount of coffee and the grind tightness that you simply don't have with a pump.

Suddenly the features of the vario (including mini-e dosing) become gimmicks with a good lever and you just want a great grinder with no hassles. The only think I'd change is probably to a K10...because it looks pretty :D

Martin (original poster)

#9: Post by Martin (original poster) »

Martin wrote: Maybe I'm due for a factory rebuild to current specs?
Decided to avail myself of Baratza's "Grinder Repair Program" which I hadn't seen at the time of my post. So, if not an actual "rebuild," sounds pretty good. Also, cause of the hopper shaking loose was diagnosed as wear on the plastic, and they'll replace it.
http://www.baratza.com/baratza-service-program/

I'm actually thoroughly pleased with the Mini grind which is fitted with the OM funnel to replace its doser. However, I miss the Vario tidiness, pf support for single-dose and no added distribution steps.

cmin

#10: Post by cmin »

shadowfax wrote:Funny, my (very early) Vario is working spectacularly, and I have only ever added the shims to make the grind adjustment stick better. I have newer steel burrs on it, though, and I only use it for pourover these days.

For what it's worth, the Vario grinder has changed dramatically over the years (for the better). They have progressively improved the internals of the grinder to make them more reliable and long-wearing. In other words, a new Vario is not the same as your old one at all, and probably would address all of the issues you've mentioned. It's unfortunate that yours has experienced such troubles. I don't know if an old Vario could be rebuilt, but you could certainly sell your used one and purchase a newer version if you want the upgraded internals.

As for the Mini being the equal of the Vario, I haven't had that experience, but I haven't explored it very thoroughly. It may be due to your Vario being 5 years old, though... have you ever replaced the burrs on it? Are they still sharp and unscathed?
Friend did the opposite, lol, had a Mini, got a Vario, out went the Mini. Vario is a year old, guessing the newer ones are just more "finished" then the early models some years ago like the OP had. Buddy has also never had issue with grind settings changing/sliding etc, whereas I know that was an issue on early ones. Build quality Mini wins easily, hunk of metal, taste in cup, Vario easily which is why the Mini was sold. He single doses like me and that's another big positive for the Baratzas b/c of the small grind paths and little retention.